What is it? Set 407

I need some help with the unusual metal box in this week's set:

Rob H.

Rob

2356 Portable Seismograph 2358 Tank track for road use.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Quinn

2353. Corn Sheller? 2355. Very small Drag Harrow. 2358. Caterpillar or tank track shoes. Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk

2353 - What show were you at?

2354 - remote sensor box?

2355 - part of an arrow foot cultivator unit.

2356 -

2357 -

2358 - look like M48 tank track sections but 32" would be too wide unless that includes the pins. the 48 ran 28" treads

Reply to
Steve W.

I wonder if its for solar radiation logging?

Reply to
Dennis

2354. Wiring or repeater housing for telephony or rail signalling cables, probably a repeater housing. Its presurised with N2 or air, when the associated in-ground cables are cut/nicked the leaking gas stops water ingress. Low pressure switches are installed to provide alarm contacts to alert technicians that the cable pressure has fallen. One system was called CPAS - "cable pressure alarm system". Pressure also keeps water out of the housing. 2356. Records solar radiation intensity. 2358. Vehicle tracks - earthmoving or military.
Reply to
Dennis

Ted Schuerzinger fired this volley in news:907gm6vmsdwy $. snipped-for-privacy@justacineast.motzarella.org:

I've seen dyslexia, but never INVERTIA.

MAX pressure... It's a reservoir for pressurizing cable housings.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yup , keeps ground water out of the underground telephone cable sheathing .

Reply to
Snag

What I can figure for most has been posted so I'll only weigh in on

2357.

(BTW near me there must be a leaking cable housing, there is a whole nitrogen tank connected up to the line, changed out regularly)

OK, the tanks are connected to that material and likely drip/wick the contents into the material, only time I've seen this is to saturate a curtain that an animal has to walk through, but that doesn't seem likely here.

I'm going to guess something is supposed to burn inside the big box, and the heat and convection helps carry off whatever is in the tanks that is supposed to evaporate off the wicks. Little door looks just right for lighting something or controlling the draft.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

Rob H. wrote the following:

Most have correctly identified 2358 as a tank tread, but I will go a little further. It's from a WWII US Sherman tank

Reply to
willshak

2355: anchor 2356: a chart recorder of somekind. The chart shown doesn't look like a seismograph though, and the mechanism in the bubble doesn't look like a seismograph. Maybe it records barometric pressure.
Reply to
Zz Yzx

2354- track greaser going into a curve to prevent side pressure from wearing out wheel flanges and rails.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Who grinds water nowadays?

Reply to
J Burns

I do if it's cold enough . Makes great snocones !

Reply to
Snag

2353) An interesting, and puzzling device.

Obviously intended to rotate.

The look of the edge suggests that it has not been towed along rolling on a surface.

The raised ridges are not shaped to act as cutters of any sort.

Both sides have the outer row of ridges tilted to point CCW when viewed from that side, so they are pointing in opposite directions.

There is no obvious provision for applying power to the axle to spin it.

So -- it must be spun by a stream of whatever -- perhaps grain which hits it. Or perhaps water under pressure -- serving as some form of irrigation sprinkler.

At about 30" diameter, and what appears to be 1" thick, it must be significantly heavy. About 0.13 cubic feet -- I would have expected more before calculating.

2354) O.K. -- the "Buried Cable" marking below it supports my initial thought. Cables -- in particular telephone cables, were at one time fed pressurized neutral gasses such as nitrogen to keep any leaks from letting water in.

Usually, there is a compressed gas tank and regulator connected to the cable every so many miles. This would appear to be something else, perhaps a splice box to give access for maintenance (once the pressure is removed).

2355) Some form of cultivating plowshare. It bolts either to a hose-drawn plow or to a tractor. Not a hand-pushed plow, because the offset would make it unbalanced and difficult to push. 2356) 7-day barograph (recording barometer). A wind-up spring to drive the drum. I'm not quite sure what the dome is for, however. 2357) Some sort of oven for perhaps heat curing something. Not hot enough for heat treating metals however.

There are two tanks with edge-fed wicks below them designed for heating the walls of the enclosure. (It *might* be that this would be a very smoky flame, in which case it could be used as a "smudge pot" for protecting orchards from freezing.

2358) Two sections of a tank tread for use on paved roads. An earth-moving machine (bulldozer or the like) would have blades which would dig into the soil, but which would also damage paved road surfaces.

Now to post this, and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

That is "max" not "wax" -- Maximum (safe) pressure.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Correct, from an M-48 tank.

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, the owner said it was used to measure the amount of sunshine on a daily basis.

Reply to
Rob H.

2353 chaff cutter 2355 harrow or seeding plough 2358 tank track plates rubber coated
Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

These photos were shot at the Greensburg, Indiana tractor show a few weeks ago, I usually have good luck finding stuff there.

Reply to
Rob H.