Automotive floor jacks - bottle or floor jack

I want to get one (at least) hydraulic jack to use if I need to change a flat in my garage or driveway. The crappy standard equipment jacks that come in a car I just don't trust.

What is better/easier to use for changing tires (or plain lifting up the corner of a car) - a hydraulic bottle jack or a hydraulic floor jack? I want to be sure also that the car doesn't slip off the jack while I'm working on the car. I know I need to also get some jack stands for safety.

Thanks. Walter

Reply to
Walter Cohen

Floor jack.

Reply to
dahpater

You need three wheel chocks what ever jack you feel most comfortable using.

For me, a floor jack with at least a 16" lift was best.

A lot depends upon what vehicle you are lifting.

For my uses, a bottle jack just doesn't have enough lift.

There is no "one size fits all" answer.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Floor jack! DO not crawl under this vehicle!! A bottle jack tends to slip; causing the vehicle to fall...even with a floor jack.

Perform this work on a flat surface and block the tires on the ground.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Floor jack. Bottle jacks have small lift points, harder to position, shorter lift, and no give should the car move a quarter inch or so during the lift, all of which a floor jack makes a lot more forgiving. Besides, there being types made for the job.

Always block the other wheels, AT LEAST the wheel kitty-corner to the wheel you're lifting. If lifting a front wheel set the emergency brake. Always have car in Park for changing tires, never neutral. Jack stands not usually necessary for changing a tire but a good idea because "stuff" does happen. Only lift as far as necessary, never more.

Never hi jack,

Twayne

Reply to
Twayne

Floor Jack. And if you are going to get under the vehicle ALWAYS use jack stands.

Reply to
Eric9822

if you are getting under the car make sure its sturdy. don't trust a jack, maybe lower the weight onto a solid timber or something like that.

Reply to
boxing

What are you going to use when you get a flat elsewhere? The scissors jack works just fine. I've lifted up full-size vans on the "crappy standard equipment jack".

Reply to
Bob M.

The jack that comes with the car is for changing tires. What's wrong with that?

You can get floor jack and jack stands combo. They are cheap.

Reply to
Bob Jones

Reply to
philthy

I have both. For my Jeep Cherokee, when changing the font tires (rotation) my floor jack doesn't have enough lift, so I use the bottle jack. Those AND a pair of jack stands are what you need. They are cheap enough in any event, and you will eventually need all of them.

Reply to
professorpaul

Agree with the floor jack and jackstands, disagree with the cheap. The

20-buck specials tend to leak down, even when almost brand new. I'm sure most are made in China these days, but look for one that isn't visibly leaking past the seals, and has some fit and finish to it. It shouldn't look like a blacksmith made it out back. As to the jackstands- stuff that can kill you is no place to cut corners. No cheap cast ones, no spot-welded thin stamped metal ones. Nothing that shows any bare metal that will rust, especially in joints.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

That's what I use for my Tundra truck tire rotation, as recommended by a master mechanic. Fast, easy, and safe.

Reply to
Phisherman

Bottle jack is easier to store, and you can take it with you when you travel...

Reply to
John Weiss

If you're talking cars and light trucks under one ton, then a floor jack will be of great use.

S. Barker

That's what I was thinking too. He wants the jack for changing flats. How many flats does anyone have in their driveway, as opposed to elsewhere? Or how many total that it's worth getting a different jack?

On the other hand, if you do more work on your own car, like brakes, then a floor jack is the way to go.

Reply to
trader4

Ok - thanks to all for your suggestions!

Reply to
Walter Cohen

Personally, I much perfer the floor jack for the use you stated. You give up some portability, and it takes more room to store, but it's far quicker and more convenient, you don't have to kneel down to place it, and the jacking proceedure is easier.

But check the jack-placement points on your cars, and look at the factory jack to see how it engages them. I've had to fabricate a block to fit on the jack so it wouldn't crimp or crush the metal ridge on the jacking point. It's just a 4" length of 2X4 with a slot cut in it.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Another consideration is that a bottle jack often will not fit under an axle, especially with a flat tire. There is a place for both so if you do much work, you should have both.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Those floor jacks do leak. That's why you don't work under the car without jack stands. I have not heard jack stands falling apart as long as they are in good condition and used as intended.

Reply to
Bob Jones