[OTish]Temperature sensor thread sealant

I have a brass temperature sensor about 14mm in diameter, no 'O' ring or shoulder, just seals on the threads into an aluminium cylinder head. What should I use to seal it? Nothing, ptfe tape, ordinary blue loctite, plumbing thread sealing compound (a bit too permanent I would think) or something else? Glad of any advice.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

No taper at the end? PTFE tape won't do any harm.

I use ScotchClad thread sealer for everything that screws into my ally engine. It seals, prevents corrosion, and locks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Thanks. The ScotchClad seems a bit elusive, though.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

If Loctite don't make something exactly designed for this, I'll eat my hat.

Ooh. I don't own a hat. Hmm...

I'd leave 24 hours to 'cure' on a non steel surface

The Natural Philosopher

Yup - you'll not find it in Halfords. A car body shop that deals with 3M for paint should be able to order it for you. Comes in litre tins - last one I bought about £35. But of course will do hundreds of bolts, and that tin is lasting well. It's for all the world like a clear cellulose varnish. Full name ScotchClad 776. But I'm sure there will be a tube of loctite that does much the same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

That's what I tend to use on cars. Not sure how well it is rated as a sealant, but I suppose it is bound to works at least to some extent if it locks the threads.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Does it actually NEED sealing - ie is it going to leak coolant or does it screw into a blind pocket? I'd simply put a smear of anti sieze or a corrosion inhibiting heat sink compound on the thread if there's no leakage likely

Reply to
John J

It is potentially going to leak coolant.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

A CTS normally pokes into the coolant.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I've just looked at a spare I have here for an SD1 Rover - ally head. It definitely has a taper at the end of the thread just below the hex.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Do you reckon ordinary blue (clone) Loctite is good enough? I'm not convinced taper threads should be used without sealant.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

On the Rover, I've not heard anyone say you must use any sealant at all.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News