I THINK I'VE FOUND MY STAIN

I've been doing some projects, and thinking I wanted some stain, to make the wood look like it had been used a long time. Not distressed, I don't believe in cruelty to wood. Just the look you get from a piece of wood, that's been in an old factory, for a hundred or so years. So I thought stain would be the way to go.

I'm trying to lean toward easy clean up stuff, water base poly, latex, etc., and didn't care to use any of the commercial stains. Had tried coffee and tea, but they didn't do what I was after.

Then today I saw some hickory nuts that had dropped beside my driveway. Viola. I don't have black walnut trees, but sure as Hell have hickory trees. I knew walnut husks were used for stains and dyes, why not hickory? Turns out, yes, hickory husks are used. But, no instructions on how. Dug more, several sources said make it same as walnut. Hmm, OK. Dug deeper. Then found this site.

I think that pretty well covers any questions I had. Altho, another site did recommend using cheap vodka. Pouring it over the husks, instead of ammonia or water.

So, tomorrow, after I get the truck brakes worked on, I shall be gathering some hickory nuts. I'm thinking no ammonia, probably just water, maybe with a shot of vinegar.

JOAT The whole of life is a learning process.

- John Keel

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 22 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Wilson Lamb

JOAT,

Now there's a money-making idea... With all the arts and crafts in that area and "natural" being the rage, make up a batch of stain, put it in those little cans or bottles and a label - "JOAT's Natural Hickory Brew"....

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Tue, Sep 23, 2003, 1:08pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com (Bob=A0S.) says: put it in those little cans or bottles and a label - "JOAT's Natural Hickory Brew"...

This is moonshine country. If I did that someone would probably read as far as brew, and drink it. Then he'd probably start hallucinating, and then I'd probably get arrested for making untaxed brew. No thanks. Besides, wouldn't that be work?

JOAT The whole of life is a learning process.

- John Keel

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 22 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Man, I just got this mental image of a guy in denim shorts and work boots scampering about the meadows filling up his shop apron with hickory nuts.........

TomL

Reply to
TomL

Why am I reminded of the old punch-line -- "It's a Hickory Daquari, Doc".

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Tue, Sep 23, 2003, 8:57pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@toml.com (TomL) claims: Man, I just got this mental image of a guy in denim shorts and work boots scampering about the meadows filling up his shop apron with hickory nuts.........

Been skipping your medicine again, I see.

Take a look at the picture of me on my web page. Does that look like someone who wears shorts, scampers, or wears an apron? Plus, I don't recall ever seeing a hickory tree in a meadow. Anyway, most meadows have cows, so you watch where you step, not scamper. Perhaps you confused me with Bob Villa, one of the three stooges, or your own fantasy.

I have been known to shoot hickory nuts out of trees, if not enough fell.

JOAT The whole of life is a learning process.

- John Keel

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 23 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

OK, so maybe 'scamper' was a poor choice of words......

Reply to
TomL

I was thinking the same thing! But daiquiris are made from rum, not vodka.

Calahan's Cross-Time Saloon? Spider Robinson? Damn it's been a long time since I read that.

Reply to
Silvan

I knew it was a lousy pun -- didn't realize it was a rum joke, as well.

I dunno. Google gives 912 hits on 'hickory daiquiri doc' -- spot-checking failed to turn up _any_ source attribution.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

OK, I see a bunch myself, and nobody to attribute it either.

No telling if Spider Robinson was the first one to come up with that, but I was first exposed to that punchline in the aforementioned book around 20 years ago.

Reply to
Silvan

I believe you want to keep the ammonia in, as there needs to be some basic (caustic, high pH) material to pull out the colored acids from the nuts.

Also the longer you let the stuff steep the richer the color will be.

Reply to
dhmeiser

Reply to
Alan McClure

Hickory, Doc!

An Engineer, Doc Faraday, made it his regular habit to stop off at a bar for a hazelnut daiquiri on his way home. The bartender knew of his habit and would always have the drink waiting at precisely 5.15 p.m. One afternoon as the end of the workday approached, the bartender was dismayed to find that he was out of hazelnut extract. Thinking quickly, he threw together a daiquiri made with hickory nuts and set it on the bar. The Doc came in at his regular time, took one sip of the drink and exclaimed, "This is'nt a hazelnut daiquiri". No, I'm sorry", replied the bartender, "It's a hickory daiquiri, Doc". !

Bryan in Bear,Delaware

Reply to
Bryan

Oh well. It was still a good book. :)

Reply to
Silvan

mammal and his sidekick, who had the name of a rosy chested bird, retired their crusade was taken up by the boy child of the caped crusaders ward. This young man used the printed word to fight wrong thinking and the planning of mis-deeds. Since his talents were many and always at hand he took on

the appellation of an arachnid. Thus was the persona born, Spider, Robins Son.

ARM Untie the edress if need be.

Reply to
Alan McClure

Spider would probably smack you for that. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Unfortunately, sometime later, the father, _and_ his mentor, were involved in a serious accident. It seems that they were passing a roadway resurfacing project, and were inexplicably, and inescapably trapped in the path of a run- away steam-roller. Miraculously, they survived the incident, but, henceforth, their alter-ego's were known as Flatman and Ribbon.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

After the gender-change surgery.

In fact, they made a movie about it --- Kiss of the spider-woman.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

That's why I hate punsters... You keep doing that, and all I can do is groan instead of firing back a witty retort. My punny bone is broken.

I can't write songs or poetry either.

Reply to
Silvan