I've hacked off some tiles ....

Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.
Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?
On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:

I have found a sharp wide wood chisel of the sort intended for hitting with a hammer useful against the most stubborn tile adhesive. But a lot of it will come off with a wallpaper scraper if you are lucky.
Expect some collateral damage unless you have a very steady hand.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 12/01/2018 11:59, Martin Brown wrote:

Expect a LOT of collateral damage.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Every time I've done this, I've ended up replacing the PB, or skimming over the top.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 13th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184
On 12/01/18 11:28, GB wrote:

hour...
let them."
On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:

There isn't one! Rip out the plasterboard and replace it - it's dirt cheap. You don't have to skim the new board before tiling it.
--
Cheers,
Roger

+1.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 12th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184

Our tip takes plasterboard. They have a whole skip dedicated to it.
--
Lady Astor: "If you were my husband I'd give you poison." Churchill: "If
you were my wife, I'd drink it."
On 12/01/2018 14:30, Brian Gaff wrote:

The dust from a multi tool is far less IME than from a rotating tool - it tends to just drop it straight down, rather than throw it about!
--
Cheers,

John.
On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:

Tile over it.
--

Adam

On Friday, 12 January 2018 11:28:35 UTC, GB wrote:

Impossible. Replace the PB, adding insulation if it's an outside wall. PB can be disposed of in garden soil if wanted.
NT

+1
I did our bathroom (well, shower) a few weeks ago. I was too lazy to go and get PB, so spent several hours trying to remove the adhesive (very well stuck), until I've had enough and went to get the two 8x4 boards. 100% false economy.
10 minutes to remove the boards from the wall + 10 minutes to remove all the screws etc + 10 minutes to screw new boards to the studs.
On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 09:49:04 +0000 (GMT+00:00) jim <k> wrote:

I assumed "if wanted" implied a heavy clay soil which would be improved by the addition of gypsum (and perhaps cellulose too).
On Saturday, 13 January 2018 14:03:25 UTC, Rob Morley wrote:

why does some idiot want to start discussing which he thinks is 'shurely' easier for the OP when he has really no idea. Yes it has its uses in the garden, and which is better for the OP to do is totally not worth imagining & debating. What a twit.
NT
On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:

Unless someone has used the waterproof adhesive (generally people don't), warm water often softens it very well - how much it will soften the plasterboard is another matter, but you've got nothing to lose trying it.
I removed large amounts of tile adhesive this way in our bathroom, but that was on plastered brick rather than plasterboard.
SteveW

Would a paper stripper steamer help?

--
Tim Lamb

On 12/01/2018 22:24, Tim Lamb wrote:

Probably, but I found just brushing hot water on to be highly effective.
SteveW
On Friday, 12 January 2018 21:04:04 UTC, Steve Walker wrote:

it's _the_ matter.

no, other than a 100% waste of time & energy

quite
NT
On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:

Either skim it, or fix another layer of PB over it!
--
Cheers,

John.