I've hacked off some tiles ....

Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Reply to
GB

I have found a sharp wide wood chisel of the sort intended for hitting with a hammer useful against the most stubborn tile adhesive. But a lot of it will come off with a wallpaper scraper if you are lucky.

Expect some collateral damage unless you have a very steady hand.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There isn't one! Rip out the plasterboard and replace it - it's dirt cheap. You don't have to skim the new board before tiling it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

+1.
Reply to
Huge

Very dust inducing though so wear a mask and have selective hearing when the partner complains about dust being everywhere..... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Our tip takes plasterboard. They have a whole skip dedicated to it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tile over it.

Reply to
ARW

Impossible. Replace the PB, adding insulation if it's an outside wall. PB can be disposed of in garden soil if wanted.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Unless someone has used the waterproof adhesive (generally people don't), warm water often softens it very well - how much it will soften the plasterboard is another matter, but you've got nothing to lose trying it.

I removed large amounts of tile adhesive this way in our bathroom, but that was on plastered brick rather than plasterboard.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Would a paper stripper steamer help?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Probably, but I found just brushing hot water on to be highly effective.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The dust from a multi tool is far less IME than from a rotating tool - it tends to just drop it straight down, rather than throw it about!

Reply to
John Rumm

Either skim it, or fix another layer of PB over it!

Reply to
John Rumm

+1

I did our bathroom (well, shower) a few weeks ago. I was too lazy to go and get PB, so spent several hours trying to remove the adhesive (very well stuck), until I've had enough and went to get the two 8x4 boards.

100% false economy.

10 minutes to remove the boards from the wall + 10 minutes to remove all the screws etc + 10 minutes to screw new boards to the studs.

Reply to
JoeJoe

it's _the_ matter.

no, other than a 100% waste of time & energy

quite

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I assumed "if wanted" implied a heavy clay soil which would be improved by the addition of gypsum (and perhaps cellulose too).

Reply to
Rob Morley

Expect a LOT of collateral damage.

Reply to
TMH

why does some idiot want to start discussing which he thinks is 'shurely' easier for the OP when he has really no idea. Yes it has its uses in the garden, and which is better for the OP to do is totally not worth imagining & debating. What a twit.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Every time I've done this, I've ended up replacing the PB, or skimming over the top.

Reply to
Huge