Removing ceramic tiles from paramount plasterboard walls

Would thid be any use for removing ceramic tiles from paramount plasterboard walls, or suggestions?

Ron

I go with this

in a suitable (i.e. rotostop) SDS drill.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I go with this

in a suitable (i.e. rotostop) SDS drill.

But I don't have suitable drill.

Reply to
Ron

Very easy to wreck the wall. I wouldn't do it.

Reply to
David Lang

/But I don't have suitable drill. /Q

Buy one with the money you would have spent on the multi tool...

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

It's virtually impossible to remove tiles from any plaster board without completely destroying it. The paper surface is very fragile compared with the tile cement.

Your best bet is covering them up.

I have done very small areas by grinding away each tile individually with an angle grinder Takes hours and creates endless dust

Reply to
harry

I know the general consensus is that you will wreck the plasterboard but I did this about 15 years ago in our bathroom and it worked fine.

The tiles were probably put up when the house was built in 89. I removed t hem in 96 with minimal damage to the plasterboard underneath. I think it w as probably helped by there not being a great deal of tile cement between t he tiles and the plasterboard. The tiler was probably trying to save a bit of money but it probably worked in my favour.

There were a few bits to patch up but on the whole it wasnt too bad.

I dont really fancy taking the ones that I put up off though!

Alan

Reply to
AlanC

The easiest and best way is a flat balde screwdriver and a claw hammer.

Apply screwdriver sideways (so its parallel to the wall) to the gap between the tile and adhesive at an exposed edge. Tap screwdriver with hammer. Then repeat until tile pops off. It will leave a fair bit of adhesive on the walls.

Rinse and repeat on all subsequent tiles.

Then use a wall paper scraper that has a sharp metal blade and scrape off the adhesive off the skim thats on top of the plasterboard.

Note that if there is no skim between the paper of the plasterboard and the tile adhesive, then you are pretty much screwed and will have to make good all damage cased to the PB.

Reply to
Stephen