Cutting plasterboard over timber studs

I need to replace a damaged section of plasterboard on a stud wall and am hoping to cause minimum damage.

What's the easiest way to cut a rectangular section of plasterboard out? I want the cuts to centre on the studs so a saw wouldn't do in this case. I guess a Stanley knife with a good blade might be enough, but would this be rather hard work?

Suggestions welcome :)

Reply to
Dave N

Mutli tool about £40 at the cheaper end.

ss

Is the plasterboard skimmed?

Plasterboard cuts easily with a Stanley type knife. It may be easier to first cut down close to the the edge of the stud, remove the board to that point and then make a second cut in the middle of the stud.

The alternative if you don't need to go back to the stud is to cut out the damaged section and glue/screw some (scrap)plaster board or wood batten behind the existing sound board give something for the patch to be screwed into.

alan_m

am hoping to cause minimum damage.

? I want the cuts to centre on the studs so a saw wouldn't do in this case. I guess a Stanley knife with a good blade might be enough, but would this be rather hard work?

Picture at

ByKcodtAdy28.

The stud wall is partly behind the old airing cupboard which has been remov ed when changing to a combi boiler. The plasterboard has been skimmed from the 'good' section to overlap the stud but the 'bad' part was behind a fals e wall (now removed) and wasn't skimmed. It had pipework going through it i n various places (which has now all been removed), and is in generally poor condition, which is why I hope to replace the complete section.

The section below the picture also has several pipe holes in it and needs r eplacing too.

Reply to
Dave N

The site wants me to sign in!

Reply to
alan_m

Sorry - hopefully this link will work...

Dave N

Here is another picture (hopefully with working link) after I'd stripped the wallpaper off...

Dave N

Quickest and easiest is an angle grinder with a 1mm steel cutting wheel. These will cut anything.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Dave N submitted this idea :

A Stanley is what the pros use. You just need to nick the paper along one side, then it will snap where it is weakened by the nick.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Multi-tool would be my choice, you could do it with a stanley.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It works as easily as that for un-fixed plasterboard. It will be a bit more difficult once the board is nailed/screwed into place, you might have to score all the way through the board.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In order of preference: Stanley knife, oscillating saw, floorboard handsaw.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It can be done with a saw! However the easiest way is with a multi tool cutter.

Reply to
ARW

I find it easier with a 3inch circular saw set to the correct depth and using a carbide tipped 1mm thick blade.

Reply to
Capitol

Any handheld circular will do it, but you don't really want to hit a screw/nail with one, and the OP is cutting over the uprights.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message , Dave N writes

I see what you mean about cutting to the centre of the stud, to give a fixing for the new board. Yes, you could cut with a Stanley knife. Not really hard work.

I would begin by taking out the old PB up to the edge of the studs first, using a hacksaw blade in a Stanley knife type handle (not a frame). That just leaves a strip of PB attached to the stud. At least then you get a better idea of exactly where to cut with the knife, and can probably easily see/feel best way to remove the strip.

Reply to
Graeme

I used a Dremel with a diamond blade!

Reply to
Bob Eager

and fill every nook and cranny in the house with plaster dust?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

You'd do a job like that with the doors open? Anyway it didn't happen for me. It didn't make tiny particulates. It mostly fell on the floor.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Angle grinder like i said