I've finally found the answer ! tool rolls !

For years I've been rummaging in the bottom of boxes, then not tidying up at the end of the day because its so much hassle to get all the stuff out again, and suffering the ire of SWMBO ! I've finally realised the answer. Tool Rolls. Not just one for the screwdrivers etc, but multiple tool rolls. Easy to find the stuff, easy to put away !

This is at present only theory but I'm convinced its the answer. I'll even have some variation on the theme for drill bits. And I can imagine a big one with tubes of sealant in and a sealant gun. I reckon about 10 tool rolls covering the basics, possibly with some duplication, such as small pliers in the electrical category.

Anyway, for now I've got to get the boxes back into the shed before we have visitors at the weekend ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

the end of the day because its so much hassle to get all the stuff out again, and suffering the ire of SWMBO !

screwdrivers etc, but multiple tool rolls.

duplication, such as small pliers in the electrical category.

visitors at the weekend !

But have you found a decent source? My partner has a small roll which stays with her drill. Cheap Erbauer set of its with some of our own additions such as Bosch multipurpose bits - from Screwfix. Now I want several such small bit and fiddly thing rolls but never seem to be able to find them - at a sensible price!

Reply to
polygonum

This _is_ uk.d-i-y, isn't it? Buy suitable materials, and sit down at a sewing machine.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I used sail canvas, but that was a bit heavy for a domestic sewing machine and had to be hand stitched.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On Tuesday 19 February 2013 12:43 sm_jamieson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Rolykits were good for loose snall things - anyone remember those?

Reply to
Tim Watts

My main machine will even handle leather without complaint, but yes, many/most domestic machines will have difficulty with sailcloth, denim, or leather.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I haven't even started looking yet. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

My mum's old Singer never had a problem. Even coped with human thumb on one occasion. I believe different needles were required.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The old Singers are great for heavy stuff, but some of the electronic Husqvarna/Viking machines are even better. For leather, I use special triangle-point needles; for sailcloth, denim, etc, generally a thick needle with a large eye, and heavy-duty thread. It's not a bad idea to have an extra bobbin case, to accommodate the thick thread.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Moulded plastic ones seem to tear easily. One stitched from a strong cloth would be better - but cost a lot more.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would need to be trusted to be allowed to use the new Husqvarna... :-)

Reply to
polygonum

the end of the day because its so much hassle to get all the stuff out again, and suffering the ire of SWMBO !

screwdrivers etc, but multiple tool rolls.

OK for stuff that can be rolled but what about big and awkward shaped tools like drills, mole wrenches and such?

I've played around the same dilemma for many years, desparately trying to get away from the "big box with everything in it".

The best I have found so far are cantilever type boxes but *not* the standard metal ones you find hundreds of if you search. I have:-

Both really open out well and allow access to everything. The Fat Max one is even set up so that the tote tray in the top box sits in the lid when open.

Reply to
tinnews

the end of the day because its so much hassle to get all the stuff out again, and suffering the ire of SWMBO !

screwdrivers etc, but multiple tool rolls.

I would think slightly larger tools get sort of "folded" rather than rolled, but I guess some things would not be suitable. So probably need a box or two along with the rolls. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Hmm. Perhaps you should look around eBay for an old black Singer? Boot sales sometimes have old machines, often not in working order, but easily repaired with logic and basic mechanical knowledge - I bought a number of old non-working machines years ago for my daughter's Brownie troop, when they were learning basic sewing. I stripped the machines, cleaned, oiled and adjusted them, replaced one or two minor parts, and they practically purred. They're sturdy and hard to destroy.

Reply to
S Viemeister

the end of the day because its so much hassle to get all the stuff out again, and suffering the ire of SWMBO !

screwdrivers etc, but multiple tool rolls.

duplication, such as small pliers in the electrical category.

visitors at the weekend !

Used for decades - not in the house (plenty of room for 'storing' tools where I leave 'em) but in my bikes. 3 bikes, 3 tool rolls, 3 sets of spare tubes patches etc. Nice and easy to get out and put away and little chance of being out withoout tools.

Reply to
PeterC

Army tool rolls from surplus shops have provided me with useful tool storage on various motorcycles in the past.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Does the army have any surplus any more ? The local surplus store near me has gone now. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

the end of the day because its so much hassle to get all the stuff out again, and suffering the ire of SWMBO !

screwdrivers etc, but multiple tool rolls.

duplication, such as small pliers in the electrical category.

visitors at the weekend !

Why not a small toolbox for each regime. I have a small tool box for electrical stuff, another one for bicycle stuff and a slightly larger one for woodworking, another for fixings etc

Reply to
fred

Yes, but the small back street stores have gone. The military now tend to dispose of stuff through just handfull of places. Anchor Supplies springs to mind but there are others. Their web site isn't as "interesting" as it used to be and looks as if they are flogging stuff other than ex-mil now.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

the end of the day because its so much hassle to get all the stuff out again, and suffering the ire of SWMBO !

screwdrivers etc, but multiple tool rolls.

duplication, such as small pliers in the electrical category.

visitors at the weekend !

Constant problem for me, keeping tools organised in the van.

I have 4 basic tool boxes; plumbing, electrical, carpentry/general & drill/fix. + Organisers for parts; plumbing, electrical, fixings, screws, hardware etc.

Often used stuff is in one of those plastic tool tote thingys; tape, level, screwdrivers etc - which is added to from the main toolboxes as required. Saturday afternoons is spent tidying up!

In the shed I have storage boxes for tiling tools, laminate floor stuff, wallpapering stuff, decking stuff, awning stuff - so if I get a specific job I just grab that box & know everything is there.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman