How to fit a mixer tap

Hi,

I'm contemplating if I can or if its possible to fit a mixer tap and get rid of my old taps.

heres a pic of the taps

Basically a copper pip threaded on to the taps ?

Is this a standard size when buying the so when you connect it on it should thread securely.

Is it possible to fit given the existing connections ?

A brief idea of whats involved would be great, never done to much in the way of plumbing except changing washers and basic bits. Although very DIY able.

Thanks

Reply to
Matthews

mmm a broken tinyurl link?

so goggle it and get a feel for what's involved then come back here if any detailed queries/clarification?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

mmm a broken tinyurl link?

Sorry that works

so goggle it and get a feel for what's involved then come back here if any detailed queries/clarification?

Jim K

Just been having a read. So basically I can connect it directly to the piping there already.

Question is how do you remove the tap from the piping which one of those nuts do you undo and which way ? (hopefully not some reverse weird thread) guessing the top one.

Next question is the width of the mixer tap is it all one standard width for UK baths ?

Or do I have to measure it up and find one to fit the bath.

Anything I wondered is the cold water has ferocious pressure but the hot water tap not as much but is good will this cause an issue ?

I have no cut off valves either and was planning on just turning the flats supply of water off and installing it then turning the supply back on. Is this ok as I don't want to get to involved with adding shut off valves which is something I don't know how to do and the space is limited so I think best to keep it simple.

Thanks

Reply to
Matthews

Yes, but make sure you fit new fibre washers. Any plumbers merchant will have them.

Undo the top brass nut that is screwed onto the tap thread. You will find a back nut further up holding the tap to the bath.

You need a back nut wrench;

AFAIK yes. Never found one that wasn't.

It sounds like you have cold from the mains & hot from a tank? If so you need a specific tap - buy from a proper plumbing supply place & they will sell you the right type.

You need to shut off hot & cold. Do you have a hot water storage tank?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes, but make sure you fit new fibre washers. Any plumbers merchant will have them.

On my list. A trip to plumbase or wicks maybe.

Undo the top brass nut that is screwed onto the tap thread. You will find a back nut further up holding the tap to the bath.

You need a back nut wrench;

Ahhh there is a tool thought I was going to have to dislocate my hand after peering at it for 15 minutes this evening hehe

AFAIK yes. Never found one that wasn't.

It sounds like you have cold from the mains & hot from a tank? If so you need a specific tap - buy from a proper plumbing supply place & they will sell you the right type.

I was a little sketchy earlier yes the cold water is mains and the hot water is from a tank in the flat.

You need to shut off hot & cold. Do you have a hot water storage tank?

I do its also had a recent element change? as it was not heating the water.

If I've need to give you any more information let me know as I'm not a 100% on what you need to know.

I really appreciate the post Medway I appreciate your expertise ... a silent fan who reads your posts :) .. many have helped me in the past.

[...]

Apellation Controlee

Yes, but make sure you fit new fibre washers. Any plumbers merchant will have them.

Undo the top brass nut that is screwed onto the tap thread. You will find a back nut further up holding the tap to the bath.

You need a back nut wrench;

AFAIK yes. Never found one that wasn't.

It sounds like you have cold from the mains & hot from a tank? If so you need a specific tap - buy from a proper plumbing supply place & they will sell you the right type.

You need to shut off hot & cold. Do you have a hot water storage tank?

Went to plumbase and they advised me I can use a standard mixer which sounded odd but for some stupid reason I went along with that notion. He told me to wrap PTFE tape on the thread and use plenty of and new washers are with the mixer.

Got it set up in an hour, but the cold water pressure over powers the hot and I have to keep it really lower and the hot water pressure is ok its gives poor pressure and a little varied output water temp wise.

So I'm guessing I need a thermostatically control mixer tap ? instead of the one they told me I needed ?

Called him up and told me to bring it back for an exchange... ball ache but I guess its the wrong mixer they advised me to get ..? even with that basin wrench was awkward but doable, handy tool.

Reply to
Matthews

Matthews posted

My kitchen tap (like most) has mains cold and tank hot, but the mixer works perfectly (except for being stiff to swivel). Perhaps you have very high mains pressure.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

A lot of mixer taps these days are designed for mains cold & mains hot (via a combi).

The droids who sell them have no idea.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You need a tap which is intended for mains cold and gravity hot. That will have decent size passageways so as not to restrict the hot flow too much. It will also have separate internal hot and cold pipes all the way to the spout outlet rather than mixing further back. If you mix further back, there's a tendency for high pressure cold to force the low pressure hot back up the pipe - so that only cold comes out.

Even with the right tap, you'll need the hot turned on far more than the cold in order to get a decent blend. I don't think a thermostatic mixer would help - these really need equal hot and cold pressures.

Reply to
Roger Mills

My kitchen mixer tap came with a flow restrictor to be used on the cold inlet in a high pressure cold / low pressure hot situation. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson