Poor quality push-fit fittings - I've found some!

Push the neatly cut pipe in, the o-ring comes out of its groove. Try again, same happens. Try a different identical fitting, with a fresh piece of pipe, same happens again. Only way to get the pipe in while leaving the o-ring in place is to lubricate the pipe, and use a gentle circling motion (rocking the pipe in a circular fashion) until it goes in.

Dying to know which fitting?

Screwfix 88980. They are unbraded ss braided hose connectors (15x15x300mm). Oddly enough, it's only the non-valve-end which is a problem. The other end is fine. Also, that end (the problem end) has two o-rings next to each other.

Reply to
Grunff

On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:39:31 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Grunff strung together this:

You haven't been hacking at the pipe with a rusty breadknife have you? I know some people do! ;-)

Reply to
Lurch

I use my guineapig for all my plastic pipe cutting. Always keep him in the toolbox.

Actually it was a copper pipe, which had a perfect cut produced by a pipe cutter. So was the second pipe.

Reply to
Grunff

On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:00:05 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Grunff strung together this:

Ah, just as well I don't buy any plumbing products from Screwfix then.

Reply to
Lurch

They carry a pretty good selection of JG Speedfit, and at much better prices than my local plumbers merchant.

Reply to
Grunff

On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:17:34 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Grunff strung together this:

My sister works at Plumb Center, so I get everything cheaper than Screwfix! And they have large stocks of all things JG.

Reply to
Lurch

Presumably including the pipe cutters....... :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:30:09 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Andy Hall strung together this:

I'd assume so, all the pros I've seen locally use Plumb Center, and have pipe cutters so there must be some link! Personally, I use my Hilmor freebies, not had a leak yet on any plastic pipe, emergency or otherwise.

Reply to
Lurch

Can't be our Plumb Center then. Guy who tried to serve me last time I ventured in wouldn't have known what a pipe cutter was even if I'd used it on him.

Reply to
G&M

On Tue, 18 May 2004 23:22:29 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "G&M" strung together this:

We've got one of those, he 'struggles' a bit with anything more technical than a request for 'a 15mm balofix'!

Reply to
Lurch

Ours is not so much a plumbers' merchants, more a way of life ;-)

Unfortunately I don't make money hanging around trade counters drinking plastic coffee and making smalltalk, and I have to pay for stuff out of what I earn, so I only go in there if I'm desperate.

Reply to
John Stumbles

One can certainly tell who's employed and who isn't in these places.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Wed, 19 May 2004 00:32:07 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Andy Hall strung together this:

Or those who just don't give a f*ck!

Reply to
Lurch

Did you use end caps on the copper? These are little plastic parts which prevent the copper from damaging/dislodging the O-ring.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

P.S. See the below to see what I mean.

Christian McArdle

And the O ring comes out of those too.

Reply to
IMM

Mr Pole,

Bean, that is fabulous. You can get shoddy fittings even cheaper.

Reply to
IMM

No, I didn't - but I've never, ever used them on any pushfit fitting before. That includes hundreds of SpeedFit, Hep and Cuprofit fittings.

What I always do is make sure that when I cut the pipe I cut it a bit tight, so the cutter pinches the end a little, producing a slight taper.

TBH I don't think they'd have helped with these fittings. The second o-ring is just dying to come out of its groove. It takes very little effort to move it.

Reply to
Grunff

So basically a batch quality issue? Perhaps the groove has been badly formed.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes, either batch or product design issue. The groove for the second ring is really very shallow - just about 1mm deep. As a result the first ring (which is in a deeper grrove) stays in place, while the second one gets pushed out.

Reply to
Grunff