Push fit plumbing - any good?

I've always used soldered joints but am being tempted by the Tectite push-fit range for a heating re-furb I'm about to embark on - maybe even plastic pipe rather than copper! How long have they been around? Any horror stories? Are there any other competing ranges I should consider?
Dave S

The plastic products are good, although some are aesthetically better looking than others.
There are real and accelerated life tests and manufacturers issue long guarantees.
There are numerous brands. I've used
- Hep2o - JG Speedfit - Marley Equator - Tectite
and had no problems with any of them on either copper or barrier plastic tube.
It is important to follow the instructions for bending and securing and also to cut using a proper pipe cutter.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

I've also used all of the above, as well as CuproFit, and have had no problems with any of them.
I recently tried the ToolsStation offering, made by QualPlumb. They are similar in construction to Hep fittings, but come in white plastic. I was quite impressed with them.
--
Grunff

Who makes them? The Homebase own brand is made by Speedfit. Is it Hepworth just changing the colour?
IMM wrote:

<http://www.qpl.ie/html/QP.html
--
Grunff

... snipped

Are there any huge price differences between the brands? - presumably the pipe and fittings are all made to a standard so are interchangeable(?)

What's special about the pipe cutter? I see that Screwfix have got a cheap one and an expensive one - any experience with them?

Thanks, Dave S

Not really. All are expensive compared to copper pipe and end feed fittings.

In theory, yes, as they all have to conform to a standard. In practice, no. Hepworth say do not interchange as makers tolerances are different.

It gives a clean straight cut very quickly. You can acheive this with other tools, but it will take longer.

IMM wrote:

At this point it's worth googling for a little thread we had a while back. <http://tinyurl.com/42ke4
--
Grunff

other
It is not worth it. "It gives a clean straight cut very quickly. You can acheive this with other tools, but it will take longer." That is all you need to know.

Hacksaw or angle grinder ?
--
geoff

writes

no.
other
CD laser ?

Excellent cutting tool for DIMM
If you think about it
--
geoff

writes

practice,
securing
My God Maxie! What are you getting Dim Lin the far eastern luscious lovely to do now?
writes

no.
other
Whatever you are good at Maxie.

No! You need a square cut. I just refitted my bathroom with all new plumbing using JG Speedfit throughout. It's my first plumbing job and it works a treat. I didn't want to buy the special cutter so I used an automatic pipe cutter which scores deep enough into the pipe for you to finish off carefully with a Stanley knife. You can also use them to cut copper. Bonus, not like the JG cutter. Several weeks on and no leaks...
Dave wrote:

The main difference in price comes from where you buy them and how many you buy. The most expensive way of buying them is to buy just one from B&Q or a plumbers merchant. The cheapest way is to buy a bag of 10 from Screwfix or Toolstation.

They all use standard pipe, so 10mm, 15mm, 22mm, 28mm are the main sizes. The only thing to look out for is pipe inserts. When using plastic pipe, you need to use plastic/copper/s.steel inserts in the end of the pipe. Use the correct insert for the fitting.

I have one of each. The SpeedFit cutter (blue) is by far the best way of cutting. It's very quick, and gives nice clean square cuts. The cheap Screwfix cutter (red) is ratchetting, and is good for cutting big MDPE pipe. Does a pretty good job on 12/22mm PEX pipe, but not as quick as the blue cutter.
--
Grunff

horror
Pushfit Tectite is good. Keep to copper pipe and only use plastic pipe when you need to.
IMM wrote:

Your opinion on the subject changes every time you post on it! That includes your favourite brand.
--
Grunff

when
Another mentalist.

pipe
But who was ranting on about how bad push fit couplings were a couple of months ago, when a certain someone f*cked up a fiends pluming because he couldn't read the instructions ?...
Surely it wasn't the same 'IMM' as who has just posted the above message ?!