Push fit plumbing

I am about to replace a mixer tap the old one has been plumbed in with 15mm push fit fittings see below;

The new one has flexible tails, so just a case of cutting the pipes at some convenient point and tightening the compression fittings on. However, this is my first experience of these push fit fittings and I was wondering how careful I need to be, will causing them to twist result in leaks or are the y fairly robust?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I've not used those, but I have used push-fit connectors on air lines. If those fittings are anything like airline fittings, twisting them once they are in place is not practical. IME, the most important thing is to ensure that the end of the pipe is cut square, properly de-burred and clean on the outside.

Reply to
Nightjar

I haven't used those metal ones, but the plastic JG pushfit connectors twist quite easily, because the grab ring turns in the fitting. If you actually intend to do this, I would use a little silicone grease on the O-ring so it slides easily on the pipe as it is turned, reducing any chance of snagging it.

BTW, if you are going to use pushfit, cut the pipe with a pipe cutter rather than a hacksaw, as the fitting will then easily slide on without damaging the o-ring seal.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

As suspected it was difficult to prevent those sections of the push fit plu mbing that would remain from moving and twisting whilst making up the new c onnections. Fortunetly although fittings moved and pipes twisted so far no leaks, wether I have been lucky and got away with it or if this is normal I do not know.

It feels a different kind of plumbing where the integrity of soldered and c ompression jointed pipe work remains rigid and to some extent self supporti ng to one with a greater reliance on pipe clips.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Pushfit pipes must enter the fittings in perfect alignment and without straining, and that may mean using pipe clips where you wouldn't need to for compression or soldered fittings.

The O-rings have an expected life of 25 years in the high quality products (although I've had two which failed after 12 years, even though I use hardly any pushfit myself).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel