connecting flexible tap tails

I'm in the process of connecting up a new sink with a monobloc tap. The tap came supplied with flexible tails, one end being a 12mm connector for the base of the taps. Fair enough so far.

The other end of the tail, however, has a connector with a captive nut and rubber washer which looks *like* a 1/2 inch BSP as [1], though I've no way of knowing for sure. I was expecting a 15mm compression fitting.

The end of my pipework currently has a service valve with a currently empty compression fitting. If I remove the compression nut from the service valve the captive nut on the tail is a perfect fit. Is this how it's inteneded to work?

If I wanted to lengthen the tails could I use a coupler [2] and a pipe

1/2" hose [1]? In general, is a 1/2" BSP (or what I have) always compatible with the thread on a 15mm compression joint.

Thanks for the help.

[1] 1/2" hose -
Coupler -
urchaidh

I believe so. The correct fitting is 1/2" MaleIron to 15mm compression so the flat end of the MI seals against the rubber washer. Compression couplers or service isolators with the back-nut and olive removed also work but you may find the end has a bit of damage which stop the seal.

Almost all compression fittings are to BS 864 or equiv and you'll find the thread is 1/2 BSP.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks, that makes sense - the correct solution would be to add a section of copper pipe and one of these:

if the end of my service valves are free from dents, dings and burrs such that I'd get a good seal the that should be OK.

Thanks.

Reply to
urchaidh