Red and black cables

If Brexit goes ahead, can we have black, red and green electric wiring colours back? I always thought 'red for danger' was a clearer message.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

I doubt it.

Being different for the sake of it, is not what brexit is about.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are you sure ? *Some* Brexiters seemed to think it was.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

And for the colour blind ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You mean those who can distinguish brown from blue but not red from black? I was unaware that such condition existed.

Reply to
Scott

Of course. Makes far more sense for every country to have its own standards. Makes exporting so much easier. They simply accept what we use or lump it.

Especially those countries where red isn't danger.

And let's hope they all have perfect colour vision - as one of the reasons for us changing is the large percentage of the UK male population who can't tell red from green.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

NO, really, they didn't. That was what you were supposed to think, that's all.

In general there were three sorts of reasons to leave.

1/. People who thought the EU was economically and politically pretty much dead, and wanted to leave before they had to pay for its collapse.

2/. People who thought it had far too much say about issues that were none of its business, and were only there to protect vested European interests. Those people generally have zero confidence on politicians and consider the less there are the better.

3/. People who saw massive immigration fr9om Europe in east- and non- Europeans, able to rapidly move across a bordereless europe and pile up in calais.

IN the end I guess all three reason applied in my case. When you see something wrong happening and every avenue you go down politically ends up with 'EU says No' you tend to get pretty cynical about how much other legislation is mindless, and serves only the interests of a narrow lobby.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

just lick the cut cable ends

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Germany used to use Red for earth

10% of the male population are colour blind - only 1% of women.
Reply to
charles

The Natural Philosopher formulated the question :

1/.

+1

2/.

+1

and 3/.

+1
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I doubt many people really even thought about that.

Some people found it irksome, but that wasn't what got people to the polls.

That was the killer. 300,000 net immigration requires around 100k new homes a year, plus other infrastructure, and the government just wasn't doing anything much about it.

Plus cultural changes. Fancy! Those Latvians really work their socks off! :)

Reply to
GB

And people who were told, for years, that lots of things were 'because of the EU', when they were not - at all.

Reply to
Bob Eager

We don't export any houses :-)

What sort of traffic lights do they use there?

That I did not know.

Reply to
Scott

It's very strange how all the remoaners think that the people are stupid, and believe what they are told.

And then watched in horror as one of the most intense and vicious propaganda campaigns since the cold war, went pear shaped because people DID NOT believe what they were being told.

I think its called 'doublethink'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think it was supposed to help colour blind people, but to me red and black used to be fine. After all if you really want to have contrast, you could also make it tactile for blind electricians. How about square sleeving on live, round on neutral, and very rough on Earth. Even I could wire a plug then. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Leavers suddenly discovered that the dummies and dregs who had been fooled into voting for Leave were now the cleverest and most respectable people in ther land. Strange that.

I gave an even better example of doublethink.

Reply to
pamela

I quite like the green/yellow for earth. It's nice and cheerful, but can be awkward to clip neatly for main bonding without the stripe twisting.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The problem for the leavers - and there is a delicious irony in it, for those of us with a sense of humour - is their cleverness is going to be their undoing.

It was a masterstroke of genius to manage to engage the masses of people who - hitherto - had not really been involved in the political process. And to get them onside with some soundbites was brilliance.

The problem is that the leavers are discovering *why* this bunch of people were not politically engaged. And - being charitable - having a long attention span is not one of their strengths.

So, I think we are seeing the Remain camp slowly re-establishing the battleground. With the leavers trying to whip up the same level of engagement as before. Of course the problem is now Bake off has started and Strictly is back. Good luck there.

I wonder how many people who voted leave think that's all done and dusted now ?

If I am right (and given I called the referendum result wrong, you are free to ignore anything I say) then the next few months and years will see "Brexit" being corrupted into whatever the status quo becomes in 2020.

And the Brexiters will only have themselves to blame. It's hardly like they nailed 93 theses to the doors of Westminster. Perhaps they could investigate the origin of "hoist with your own petard" ? Although given it has a French word in it, I would think it unlikely.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The gene responsible is on the X chromosome - so a male only defect.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I like Latvians generally, have known a few and been there.

There are some countries in the EU and soon to be in the EU I am a lot less keen on though...

Reply to
Tim Watts