Push fit plumbing - any good?

In article , Grunff writes

Damn, beat me to it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

UK-diy, Website, newsgroup, whatever; I don't know and don't care. I would assume it would be about DIY, but it has been ruined by this puerile, irrelevant feud.

I'd hope there'd be a Moderator to control the f***wits, but it seems there isn't. You people need to grow up a little or get a job.

Reply to
Aidan

I agree.

Reply to
IMM

That much is apparent.

Was there anything useful that you had to contribute at all??

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well, since you've taken so much time to learn a little about Usenet and to contribute to the group, I'd say your opinion is definitely worth paying attention to.

There kind of is, we each have our own.

Reply to
Grunff

If you take the trouble to read the 'feuds', plenty of good information comes out of them.

You'd be cut for a start for being totally OT.

A word of advice. Learn how to use a killfile.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whatever you are good at Maxie.

Reply to
IMM

writes

My God Maxie! What are you getting Dim Lin the far eastern luscious lovely to do now?

Reply to
IMM

No. Hates uk.d-i-y.

Reply to
IMM

Maxie, no tools were blamed at all....

Reply to
IMM

Exactly, Maxie.

Reply to
IMM

Maxie, is Dim Lin, the far eastern luscious lovely, that bad?

Reply to
IMM

In message , IMM writes

Au contraire, you came in for a great deal of flak

Reply to
raden

Why, thank you, kind sir, for your wise and avuncular advice.

I do not want to read the feuds, they are not relevant. I do not want to know what a killfile is. I did want to know peoples' opinions on push-fit plumbing; that is why I was reading a thread entitled 'Push-fit Plumbing - any good?'

There were about 66 threads. Were they all about push-fit plumbing? No. The feud kicked off at about post No.8, and it is still continuing, something along the lines of;

Nah!

Nah!!

Nah nah na-na-Nahhh!

etc., etc., ad nauseam. The OP has probably long since cleared off.

They have ruined this thread. They are ruining this newsgroup. I do not want to sift through this garbage to read the occasional posts which are on topic.

It would only take one of them to have the intelligence to realise that you win this game by not playing.

Finish it.

Reply to
Aidan

You're very welcome. It comes from years of experience in reading newsgroups. Experience can sometimes be useful. And you'll find it's the way of all newsgroups. They always drift off topic in one way or another.

Then you should. That's what it's there for - to remove people you don't want to read.

I I I. What about the rights of others? What makes you think what you want to read is more important than what others want to write?

So what? It's not an individual service for him.

This newsgroup appears as healthy as any, judging by the number of posts.

It's not a newspaper you pay for so have some justification in complaining about. The contributors don't get paid - and you don't pay them for their help.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

writes

Maxie, as I know more about these things than anyone on this ng, no tools were blamed, only the fitting.

Reply to
IMM

As I remember it, both the tools and fittings were fine. Which leaves just one thing at fault...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's good because there aren't any feuds.

There are differences of opinion in many directions, which is a legitimate part of any discussion group.

Then you shouldn't be using Usenet.

It happens to be readable on some web sites, but this is not the primary method of use.

Usenet is a discussion medium with all that that entails - it is not intended as a vehicle to provide nicely formatted information on web sites.

If you are looking for that, then there are plenty of web sites around with DIY information. You won't read much debate and the quality of information is variable as a result.

This group also has a FAQ web site and the quality of information there is high.

There is one thread and several branches.

If you look at any active Usenet group, you will discover that the active ones are mixture of predominantly on topic threads, some of which provoke heated debates on the subject and often lead into related and sometimes unrelated material, generally among regular contributors.

The signal to noise ratio on UK.D-I-Y is actually pretty good in comparison to some others.

There are also moderated groups on Usenet, where some control is made over posting. Generally they are very dull and there is little traffic. As a result, many tend to be short lived.

Periodically, there have been suggestions of making UK.D-I-Y a moderated group. There has never been any substantive support for doing so.

If you feel aggrieved, by all means go and enter a request to start a moderated version of the group. I expect that you would find it fairly lonely.

Alternatively, create a Yahoo email group or something.

Actually the vast majority of posts are on topic.

If you don't want to read contributions from a particular person you don't have to do so. This is what a killfile is for. Most newsreader software has the ability to ignore threads as well if you don't want to read them.

Don't complain though, if you don't use the tools intended for the medium. Web access to Usenet is not the intended tool. Sorry.

There isn't a game to play or to win. Simply debates around various topics.

Did you have anything to contribute on the subject of DIY at all?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

What do you expect?.

Pay peanuts, and get IMM.

Just how much DID you pay to join this group anyway?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , IMM writes

DIM, you are the tool who did the "fitting"

Reply to
raden