HBP pipe and Speedfit fittings

The plumber who installed our power shower in 1997 used plastic pipe teed off the stainless steel 15 mm pipes to the hot and cold basin taps. He omitted to fit isolation valves so had to do a quick bodge yesterday (see Mira Shower post) and bought a couple of standard Speedfit valves from B&Q. I have not used plastic before so an a bit unsure about mixing pipe and fittings.

The pipe has the following text (some illegible):- HBP.UK Part 2:1990:Class H PB H&C services & central heating 12 bar

20C 7 bar 82c 15 x 2.0mm 0722242KF02. May be some mis-reading there.

Am I right that this is an early HEP2O type of barrier pipe? And is there going to be a problem using Speedfit valves with it - they are still dry after 12 hours.

I only have access to (retail) mail/internet order or B&Q/Screwfix/Wickes/Homebase.

Reply to
Geo

did you use/already have plastic pipe stiffener inserts in the plastic pipe ends? if yes should be no probs..

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

12 bar

Probably BS 7291: Pt. 2: 1990 Polybutylene pipes and associated fittings. Don't know what HBP is. Hepworth Brothers Plumbing? Wavin own it now.

Probably polybutylene, HEP20 was the major brand but there were other manufacturers.

Probably not, but the makers instructions usually recommend against it because they won't guarantee another maker's fittings. I'd crack on with it.

Are you sure it's stainless pipe, not chrome. IIRC there are problems with push fit gripping stainless &/or chrome. You'd best look up the installation instructions.

Reply to
Onetap

Hepworth Building Products Limited, apparently. It probably is HEP2O.

Reply to
Onetap

$FILE/THConnectionsCompatibility.pdfYes, can't be connected with push-fit to chrome or stainless, you have to use compression fittings. If he has then that's all OK.

Reply to
Onetap

in their usual "thinking of us consumers first, not their profits" type way.....

bet you it'll be fine - just ensure you get pipe stiffeners in where the pushfit gear is installed....

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Last time I used Hep2O was about 2000 and there were 2 types: barrier for CH and non-barrier for water supplies. This might have changed by now - looks as if all Speedfit is barrier.

Reply to
PeterC

Thanks for the replies - I have replied below

I bought Speedfit inserts but initially was unable to fit them - have now tried a smear of silicone grease and got them into the pipe with a bit of pushing. (For the record I also bought a pipe-cutter :-)

The original house pipework /is/ all stainless steel - right pig to work with.

The plumber used brass T to come off the original pipes - not sure if the branch is ordinary compression - it looks normal.

The plastic pipe had a couple of in-line couplers under the bath - these are also marked HBP. Only reference I found on the HEP2O site was that using these could be a cause of seepage.

Problem: Joint weeps "e. Components from an old Hep2O® or Acorn® fitting may have been used when ressembling a Hep2O® fitting. The cap, metal grab ring, 'O' ring and spacer washer from old Hep2O® or Acorn® fittings are not compatible with Hep2O® fittings. Evidence: Cap marked HBP (Hep2O® is marked Hepworth); Metal grab ring. (Hep2O® has a white grab wedge); 'O' ring not marked (the Hep2O® is marked with the size); spacer washer (not needed in Hep2O® fitting)."

Anyway I feel a bit more relaxed now - thanks again.

Reply to
Geo

replying to Geo, anzary wrote: i need som fitting

Reply to
anzary

Try epilepsy?

What are you talking about?