Sprinkler copper pipe corrosion

I have a system of copper pipes for sprinklers. It's elbows that hold sprinkler heads are deteriorating to where bits fall off and leak all over. Can't use sprinklers anymore. I wanting to use shark bite to connect pvc at the ends but the copper pipe is also deteriorated. Is there a way to smooth out and clean the copper so I can make a clean connection?

Reply to
Jrange

If the copper is that far gone, you're just delaying the inevitable.

You can try, but unless the outside is not pitted the seal won't hold and I'd guess there'd be a decent chance wouldn't have enough material left that the mechanical hold would last, either.

You just clean the Cu pipe the same way you do for a sweat fitting; it a little emery cloth can't shine it up to near new appearance the fitting won't hold.

And, of course, with the sharkbite fittings you need really, really square ends and the super-good job of deburring after the cut or you'll ruin the o-ring in installation.

All in all, I'd sweat a female connector to the copper and thread in a pvc male and go from there as being the more likely to work...if the copper were in good shape, sharkbite would be higher probability...

Then again, what's to lose? :)

Reply to
dpb

Don't waste your time and money, the copper is shot. Dig it up and replace it with good pvc.

Save all the copper so you can turn it in for scrap, the salvage value is pretty decent. Will probably pay for all of your PVC parts.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

On 06/04/2017 4:02 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote: ...

After it's been buried and if is as corroded as OP indicates the scrap value will be minimal at best, too...

Reply to
dpb