Help! has anyone taken a ELU MOF177E ( Dewalt DW625 ) Router apart?

Help! has anyone taken a ELU MOF177E ( Dewalt DW625 ) Router apart?

The base shot off yesterday (the stop nut had been left off )

Somehow this seems to have left one of the copper spring guide tubes (item 62 in the diagram) stuck-fast inside the case. These tubes have a lip on them, and I think it has stuck down the side of the plastic? moulding it is supposed to sit over. (and just my luck -its on the side of the case that has no hole at the top)

've had no luck pulling it out from below so I've started dismantling the router. I figure removing the lower casting could give enough play to work the tube out.

However, I've now run into a snag removing the magnetic plastic tachometer wheel use by the speed controller from the end of the shaft so I can release the armature from the top bearing. It looks like the end of the armature shaft is grooved so I guess it's hammered on, and probably won't come off without breaking. (I think this might be part 98 the "pole piece" in the diagram; although if it is, it's shown in the wrong place)

I'm wondering if it would be any easier to remove the lower bearing or to split the thing and order a replacement.

I guess I may have to send it off for an expensive repair (of course we need to use it today).

Reply to
Mel

Mel, I recently tore down my 625 to replace the bearings. I built a little split wedge to pull the pole piece. It broke anyway. Order extra pole pieces. I broke the first one putting it back on. If you find out how to do this properly I'd like to know. I glued and clamped this one back temporarily and it is holding so far, but I don't expect it to last. I will order a couple more and try heating one in hot water then tapping it on. The first time around I simply drove it on with a small socket that fit around the shaft. That was not good enough. :(

David

use by the

top bearing.

thing

it today).

Reply to
David Rose

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for confirming the part's id.

I managed to break part of the rim off mine last night after posting :(... I was actually about to give up and put the router back together ready to send it off for professional repair, or at least until I have some spare parts, when I thought - Perhaps I'll just try some gentle pressure to see if it will come off more easily than it looks.... The remaining intact part still has the magnet so it probably would work, although I'd be slightly concerned it might break apart while running and damage the speed controller

I've been thinking about how I could fit a new one myself, as I suspected they might be a very tight fit and that plastic looks kind of brittle.

I figured I could drill a hole in a bit of brass rod to make a dolly that fits over the shaft and maybe try boiling water too, but I guess I'd probably sand the hole in the replacement pole piece first, to make it more of a push fit, and then if necessary glue it in place! (I don't fancy hitting it too hard as I don't want to wreck the bearings etc.)

Other than that, I suppose I could try using my pillar drill as a makeshift press, maybe with a rod tightly clamped in the drill vice to support the collet end of the shaft from inside...On second thoughts, perhaps that's not such a good idea.

I hope the rest of it dismantles more easily once you get this wretched bit of plastic off and remove the circlip, I'd be a bit dubious about using my extractor on the plastic case around the bearing.

Although I usually fix our power tools and machinery myself, I've found a repairer who will give written quotes so I might avoid further hassle and try them first.

Thanks again;

Mel.

Reply to
Mel