RTrend T5 / DeWalt 613 Routers & De6900 compatibility

I got a good deal (£40) on a DE6900 router table (the small cast/ground ally one).

I need to get a router to go in it ... the DW613/620/621 and probably

614/615 are compatible (i.e. mid sized, double flat sides on base with a threaded hole to accept the fine lateral adjustment bolt).

The trend T5 has been suggested to me as well, but does anyone know if this is compatible with the DE6900 table? It looks like it is (the same basic unit actually) but I don't want to shell out until I am sure.

I remember reading somewhere that Trend uses DeWalt designs (or OEMs then) for some of its router range but am not 100% sure in this instance.

TIA,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

The T5 is a good product (I have one), although bear in mind that a

1/4" router is going to be somewhat limited in a router table in terms of what it can do. Take a look at what is available in 1/4" bits to get an idea of what.

If you are planning to do anything with substantial mouldings, panel raising or anything like that, then you would be better off getting a

1/2" router. THe Freud is the least expensive of the 1/2" products worth having. DIY shed own label 1/2" routers are universally rubbish.

The Trend routers are based on the Elu design and for the most part mechanically compatible with it. DeWalt purchased Elu some years ago, but there are licensees. For example CMT (as in "the only orange one") have a router that is the same). Parts like collets, and accessories seem to be generally compatible. For example, I have used T9 parts and accessories with my DW625.

You should be able to figure out about the mountings and bases from the Trend web site if you look at their router tables. If the base is the same for the T5 and the DW products you mention, then I think you are in business.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks for the advice.

The table is the really small one which will only take medium sized

1/4in routers. Its an ex-ELU design (ELU 40900 IIRC)I have found out, formally resold by Trend themselves.

My requirements are not into doing panel raising etc (yet) mainly doing T&G, cutting tenons and housings etc, which if need be can be done multi-pass.

One day, I may build myself a bigger table, and then I'll be into 1/2 in routers etc. But then I have the cupboard rule to contend with ... which is that all my expensive tools, that are luggable, must fit in the hall cupboard, being only 400mm x 800mm x 2m high, its pretty full already.

I donwloaded the T5 manual and also phoned Trend, they were able to confirm that the T5 is based on the ELU MOF96(E), looking at the DE6900 manual, this was a listed device, and so I am in business and its on order.

Cheers,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW