router recomendations

My present router just died. Looking to upgrade with possible combo fixed/plunge set. Looking at the Milwaukee 5616-24 . Has good reviews. Can pick up for $239. Any comments? TIA

Reply to
Joe Carboni

I (and Pat Warner) would recommend the Dewalt 621. Overview here:

it here:

Woody

"Joe Carboni" wrote

I have the Milwaukee 5616-24. I also Have the DeWalt 621 I also Have a Bosch 1617 EVSPK

My favorite is the Bosch........... for hand held use.

*IF* you're planning to use it in a table I would go with the Milwaukee because of the height adjustment feature. (I have a Milwaukee 5625-20 in a table and am really pleased with it)

Max (JM2C)

Reply to
Max

Depends on what you want to use it for. I was looking at purchasing a new router a little while ago and settled on the 3 hp Triton router for a little bit more than the price you've got for your Milwaukee. I passed on the purchase when my 3 hp Makita router that I believed stolen was found.

Upscale

For a small router, the 2.25 HP VS Milwaukee. For a big router, the Milwaukee 3.25.

For big bang for the buck, the Hitachi M12V.

I use all of those in my shop, and we beat them up pretty good, and just love those Milwaukees.

Reply to
Robatoy

That is a good router per most comments made here. For a little less you can get either Triton router. They are designed to operate as a fixed base or plunge router with out having to change bases. They were also of the first designed, to be used under a router table.

?id=28

Reply to
Leon

Although, Pat Warner doesn't like one the 621 a router table, if that is your intention.

Among the combo kits, he likes several, including this DeWalt kit:

here is his page that covers scenarios and various recommendations:
> Jim

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

I got a screaming deal on the 1.75 hp Milwaukee on Amazon a few weeks back. $129 for the plunge and fixed base kit. I've only had occasion to use it in the plunge base once, but it had plenty of power. The plunge operation was very smooth, but I'm still noodling over the depth adjustment. Senility setting in. My other router is a PC690 which has now found a permanent home under the router table.

Incidentally, Woodcraft had a special on a Freud combo set, also 1.75 hp, earlier this spring. I got it and sent it back. Much less than I expected out of Freud.

Larry

Joe Carb> My present router just died. Looking to upgrade with possible combo

Reply to
TD Driver

I have the milwaulkee with only the fixed base in a router table - I got it for 169, and I'm very happy with it. The only complaint is that the height lock needs to be engaged, otherwise it nay drop a little. That said, it's a beast that doesn't stop for anything. I also have the dewalt 621 - a great router, but not one I'd put into a table I'd say you'd be happy with the milwaulkee combo

shelly

Reply to
sheldon.mandel

Reply to