Milwaukee 2 1/4 Bodygrip vs. Porter Cable 890? Which One?

I am getting ready to buy a router. I have narrowed it down to either the Milwaukee 2 1/4 Bodygrip or the Porter Cable 890. I know Porter Cable has been around forever and are the industry standard in routers, it would be a no brainer except for the Milwaukee. I like that router is a handle feel on the Milwaukee. Only down side is Milwaukee does not have a plunge base for their router right now.

Any opinions?

Reply to
William J.

If this is the only router you'll own, you definitely want to get plunge-base functionality. With that in mind, I would go with PC router kit with the plunge and fixed bases. You'll quickly appreciate the flexibility of having that plunge base.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I own the Milwaukee, and really love that hand grip. It's my go-to machine for fixed base. What I don't like about it:

Rocker switch. First, I much prefer a trigger, so I don't have to double check that I haven't accidentally turned the thing in prior to plugging it in. Second, the switch is high on the router, and is not easily accessibly with a thumb. You have to take a hand off the machine to turn it on or off.

Wide base hole. A plus and a minus here. I like the visibility it provides. But you have to buy a separate baseplate if you want to use standard template guides.

Very tight collet. I have to take the collet out to get bits in and out of it. This has gotten better with more use.

Limited availability of accessories compared to the PC line.

Reply to
<mslatter

The reviews I have read for the PC 890 didn't live up to the PC standards. If you search this group you will find recent reviews of people who have purchased an 890.

I have no idea for Milwaukee, I ended up getting a Bosch 2¼ model

1617. Very pleased with my choice and the electronic variable speed is a nice feature that I needed and the kit with the fixed and plunge base was an excellent combo for me.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Martin

get both.

One Can Never Have Too Many Routers....

Reply to
Bridger

I have the Milwaukee and a Porter Cable 690. I just recently read about the 890 and it looks to be a fine piece of machinery. They seem to have addressed the few minor beefs I have with the 690. I don't know that I could recommend one over the other but I can say that I don't think you'll be disappointed with either. I love them both, in fact I'm happy with all 3 of my routers. I have a seperate plunge router so the lack of a plunge base isn't an issue for me, if I didn't have that, I think the plunge base option would compel me to go for the 890.

Oh, one thing I have noticed with the Milwaukee, I don't have many operating hours on it yet and already I'm seeing considerable blue sparks emanating from the motor. IIRC that would suggest the brushes are worn. Seems awfully quick, I've had the 690 for years and haven't seen that yet.

Reply to
Kevin Carbis

Your thinking is in line with mine. I have emailed Milwaukee asking them if they ever would come out with a kit for that router or just a plunge base on its own. They sent back the typical "We have noted your request but cant talk about future product releases" response. If you go to the Milwaukee tools web page people have been asking for almost

2 years for a plunge base and have been told the same thing. The woodworking show will be in my town at the end of February and if I don't here anything by then I will be getting the PC even though like you I feel the Milwaukee is a better router.
Reply to
Carmmond

Both claim "above the table adjustment." Are they both about the same in this feature or is one better? And how good are they? Can I get anywhere near as accurate as a router lift?

Reply to
Never Enough Money

You have to twist the slop out of both of them first. Once you have a positive connection between threads and router motor, then they are both as accurate as your test pieces. I my experience, none of those types of tools have 'dialable' adjustments you can trust. Personally, when I was looking for a small, but tough enough router, I passed on the 890 for the following reasons. The whole design is too 'marketing' oriented IMHO. Designed to look good and to be sold..as opposed to being used? Too tall, centre of gravity is up too high. (not pertinent in table use). That dust collection through the handle... cute, but how effective? That levered switch, lovely place to get dust-jams (like the big PC ROS) Too much money. I bought the 1 3/4 Milwaukee 5615. Kinda wished I has bought the EVS version, but I only use smaller bits in this, so 24KRPM is acceptable.

I have been a dyed-in-the-wool PC router fan for decades. I have purchased at least a dozen 3 1/2 and 3 1/4 hp routers from them over the years. In the process of solid surface fabrication, a router's life is hell. At half the price of a PC production router, I now buy Hitachi M12V's. For under the table precision woodworking, I'd buy the big Milwaukee, although I'm sure the new 2 1/4 hp would be more than sufficient. Leon now has me all over that Robbie-The-Robot Triton..kinda veered my attention away from the 2000 watt Festool... for now

Ooop..finished my tea and

gone

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

Thanksyou very much, Pat.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

I have both and use them interchangeably. One observation: the Milwaukee seems to have more vibration even without a bit, whereas the PC is smoother. Above the table adjustment is equally easy on both. Both seem to be built tough. I concur with another poster, though. For under the table permanent mount, go with the big boy Milwaukee. It is noticeably superior to the PC

7518, which seems to set the standard for big table mount routers.

Bob

Reply to
bob