Bosch 1617EVS v the Porter Cable 890

I was all set to ask for a Bosch 1617 from Santa this Christmas when PC announces the 890. Can anyone comment on this new router compared to the Bosch?

Thanks.

Terry Ilardi

Reply to
Terry Ilardi

PC has some good routers and although I am not familiar with their 890, I would still opt for the Bosch, I have used them for years and have, I think 9 of the newer model 1617 some of their 2-1/4 hp and their 1608 laminate trimmers. Good machines that have lasted the test of time and some heavy duty use.

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

I don't have the 890, but I have several of the 690 series and two of the Bosch 1617. I'd take the Bosch over Porter-Cable - smoother, easier to adjust, feels better in my hands.

Reply to
Richards

I have the 1716EVS as well as the 693 (690 with both handles). The 1617 stays in the table but I like it much better than the 690...except for the damn oxidation problem on the barrel..

Good luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

I just bought the 1617 kit yesterday. Any steps I should take to deal with this 'oxidization problem'?

Reply to
Cutter

I used my 1617 today for the first time doing raised panels in a Freud table and it is nice and smooth. Easy to adjust and not to loud. My only concerns about the Porter Cable is this is a new model that seems to compete with Bosch I would be cuatious in getting the first production of these.

I also used my Bosch ROS and it makes sanding an easier job.

D.Martin

Reply to
D. Martin

I've had this router set for about a year and haven't had the oxidation problem. I'd heard about it and asked the Bosch rep about it before I bought it and he said they had taken care of that problem. Don't know how or if they really did, but mine seems fine.

Reply to
BeerBoy

BeerBoy notes:

I think it was a problem with the earlier routers: I've got one, and it does have the corrosion problem: nothing critical, but an occasional pain in the tuchus to clean up, though it's held in check (mostly) with a coating of paste wax. I've also got the new set, but haven't had time to check it out yet.

Charlie Self

"I have one yardstick by which I test every major problem-and that yardstick is: Is it good for America?" Dwight D. Eisenhower

Reply to
Charlie Self

Mine didn't oxidize for years, until I left it inside an MDF router table. The oxidation on mine is only cosmetic, but it's kind of a weird coincidence that it didn't happen until it was encased in MDF.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Where is the oxidization?

Reply to
BeerBoy

Beer Boy asks:

On the barrel, primarily. Any exposed magnesium parts, though. A quick wipe with 0000 steel wool and a coat of Johnson's takes care of it.