Worktop jigs and radii

Having done all the worktop joints for my kitchen, I'm bemused by one thing. I don't see how the jig can possibly produce a perfect joint, given that the female mitre will always have a different radius to the male mitre, due to the width of the cutter.

I'm using the Screwfix jig. Do more expensive jigs have different templates for the male and female joints that solve this problem? Even having different internal and external radii on the 45 degree curve would solve this, but the screwfix jig doesn't bother. I ended up filing the male mitre a bit to get a better fit.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:42:08 GMT, Ben Blaukopf strung together this:

No, you've lost me now. Say it again, slowly, with easy to understand words.

Sorry, still not there. I use the Screwfix jig and have had nothing short of perfect jopints every time. I think you've either got a crap router, or technique, or both.

Reply to
Lurch

I'm with Lurch on this one. Are you using the correct sized cutter in the correct sized router?. The only thing I can think is that you are using too small or large (diameter) cutter or that you are using a 1/4" router instead of a 1/2" one so that the guide is the wrong size.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

What difference should the type of router make? If the cutter and the guide are the right diameter then surely the router type is immaterial.

Reply to
No Spam

Because small (1/4") routers have smaller guides which don't fit the templates. I perhaps should have made this clearer.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Hmm,

I made a partial arse of my cuts for my worktop, as I used a different cutter diameter to the one specified with my jig, and used the collet supplied with my router.

I was sure this would have been fine as I used the same cutter to cut both the male and female parts of the joint, so, the radius of the cut was ok, but the start of the joint was skewed somewhat (it happened further down the female part of the joint.) but the cut itself was a good fit, just needed a little relieving with a sharp wood cutting junior hacksaw blade.

Not ideal, but saved me buying a 1/2" worktop cutter :-)

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

It is a 30mm guide thats needed, i'm not wanting to nit pick but Axminster for instance list 30mm guides as fitting both their 1/4" and

1/2" routers (and the Trend T3 and T5).

The ONLY reason I can think that they quote a 1/2" router being needed is for the high power to take the cuts, take it steady and 1/4" will do.

Reply to
No Spam