smoking worktop

I've just done my first mitre cut with a borrowed router and jig. Turned out quite nicely. However, when I was cutting the worktop, any time the bit was near the moisture barrier at the bottom (so on the last pass of my female cut and all the way through my male cut) it looked like the whole affair was about to catch fire - lots of smoke coming off.

Is this normal?? The worktop is a B&Q Ebony black gloss.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

No. Immitation marble is the most common.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

:) Funny, I didn't think I'd posted this to cam.misc (kind of place where that sort of response is practically mandatory).

Alright - is this normal, peculiar to B&Q worktops, or peculiar to me and my router (or more likely my technique).

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

Yes.. Know what U mean;)

Well there is some friction going on no matter how sharp the blade so heat will be generated so a bit of smoke/steam is to be expected.

Didn't rent the cutter from Ridgeons by chance?, I know someone who did and they had to go back a couple of times before finding a sharp one;(

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , snipped-for-privacy@bancom.co.uk says... snip.

There is a simple test for a router cutter. Try it on the back (NOT the edge) of your thumbnail. It should make an impression, if not, it is not the sharpest.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

At what RPM? :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

If it starts smoking, you have too much of a cut for one pass with a dull blade going far to slowly along the cut. A vicious circle as when the blade is dull, you need to take longer.

A trick in an emergency is to saw to as near the line as possible then cut the straight edge with a router. In that case you only need to remove some 1 or 2 millimeters.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil