Competition for SawStop ?

Yes, but there are all kinds of mishaps that can lead to all kinds of accidents. SawStop helps prevent basically one sort.

Some people mentioned accidents with a TS blade even though the blade wasn't moving. Are these the result of reaching across the blade or falling on it in some way? I honestly never considered those possibilities.

The salesman at Woodcraft say that the Sawstop is better than the Unisaw even without the safety features. BTW, the "industrial model" (30" wide table) is $4500, and the "professional model" (w/27" table) is closer to $2900. Mobile bases are an extra $200, or $300 for the "hydraulic" version. Salesman was not aware of any differences between the industrial and professional models beyond the size of the table and the location of the blade adjustment cranks. At this juncture, I am not seriously considering spending $4500 on a TS anyway. One needs to draw the line somewhere...lol.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

My comment was that I lower the blade beneath the table *when I'm finished using the saw*; I don't lower it every blasted time I turn it off. My shop doesn't have all the space in the world, and when I'm not using the saw for its intended purpose, chances are good I'm going to take advantage of the table surface for other random activity. Having the blade protruding up through the table when the saw is sitting idle for hours or days on end just isn't a very safe place for it to be displacing air.

Reply to
Steve Turner

;~) I understand your position on the matter and agree with your logic. I must have misunderstood you from the beginning and , well you know...

I incorrecetly compared you to a few that I have seen in the past in this group that seriousely believed that they were incapable of having an accident because they knew all the safety rules and followed them with out deviation and that they had no reason to believe that that situation would ever change.

Reply to
Leon

Life is a gamble; you take your chances and you place your bets. You could spend your whole life worry about less and less and less until there was nothing left! Or you can allow it a little more interesting. Naw, we don't need to bring any insect repellent to Mosquito Lake. : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

LOL,,, If not careful a new Forrest WWII can cut you while you are simply trying to mount it for the first time. Spend enough time in the shop and you will learn a way to cut your self with a stationary blade when you least expect it. ;~) Stepping out into the shop is a risk.

Mobile bases are an extra $200, or $300 for the "hydraulic"

I would think there would be more to it than that, perhaps a comparison of the trunions.

Reply to
Leon

I applaud the quality of your summary, whether the cost/benefit ratio makes sense for me or not. Of course, I think there is something in people which perhaps colors their perceptions of their chances of getting hurt--especially with a few thousand dollars on the line. I like to think that for the sake of a few thousand dollars I'm willing to be extra careful, but I know I'm not perfect. I also expect I'm not going to be spending hundreds of hours at my TS. Maybe there will soon be some additional choices in the marketplace--they can't be too far off.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I think/thought I was responding to Lew's comment.

The wood working class I took offered by the local community college

FWIW I perscribe to your practice of how often to raise or lower the blade.

Reply to
Leon

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

I teach that running with the blade higher than it needs to be is the most preventable way to reduce the severity of severe injury.

If you run your hand across the blade and do not hit the bone, there is a much greater chance that your finger and its function can be saved.

Reply to
Morgans

"Leon" wrote

It is practice with such negligible benefits, I don't see a need to do it.

Reply to
Morgans

However only a naive person thinks that expensive gadgets will make them "safe".

The question is what constitutes an acceptable risk. You seem to be able to tolerate less risk in your life than most people.

And having a Sawstop doesn't guarantee that he won't have an accident. Might not cut his hand off, but that doesn't save him from tripping and busting his skull on the table edge.

If you aren't trying to sell anything then quit acting like people who don't spend every cent they have buying safety equipment are doing wrong.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"When", "until", you take it as invevitable that everyone who lacks a Sawstop is going to cut his hand off with a table saw. Earth to Leon, millions of woodworkers make it through their entire lives without cutting their hands off with a table saw.

Do you walk down the street wearing armored clothing and a crash helmet because of an accident that might occur? If not, why not?

Reply to
J. Clarke

NEVER, repeat, NEVER put faith in what _any_ salesman tells you, regardless (and particularly in woodworking/hobby stores) ... the ten percent of the time they may be even close to right will not make up for the 99% they are not. ;)

Always consider motive ...

Reply to
Swingman

Saw an interesting statistic. Most fatal amputations occur in automobile accidents.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Nor do I, I lower the blade to protect the blade.

Reply to
Leon

? "J. Clarke" wrote

Holy Crap! I'm taking the table saw out of the back seat.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Whenever I take an interest in some field of endeavor, I try to learn as much as I can about it, and until I do, I don't open my mouth and claim to be any sort of expert. As a woodworker and a musician (ok, a DRUMMER) with several decades of experience under my belt, I do know a thing or two but I still don't claim to be an expert. Because of those interests, Woodcraft and Guitar Center are two retail stores where I can sometimes be found browsing the merchandise. It never ceases to amaze me how simply being an employee at one of those places automatically makes you a genius, and I can't count the number of times I've been automatically treated as a rank amateur by some idiot salesman who thinks he knows everything. I just love putting people like that in their place. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

"Leon" wrote

I agree completely. One must recognize the potential for disaster in order to avoid..........or mitigate.....it.

Max

Reply to
Max

Good point. A proper attitude is essential.

I like

Reply to
Max

I think you teach "NOT running it higher", oui?

I understand that the bones fracture and are hard as hell to save. It sure pays to be careful.

-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If the Whirlwind ever comes to market, who's to say it couldn't also be installed on a SawStop? Breach the Whirlwind's safety zone and the saw begins the less drastic one-second shutdown, without damage to the hardware; touch the blade and BOOM. Best of both worlds.

Reply to
Steve Turner