Competition for SawStop ?

-------------------------------------- wrote:

In my 35+ years in construction, I have known many like you.

It gives me great pleasure to see them all manner of injuries large and small that could have been easily prevented if they had used available safety equipment.

Their injuries, especially the serious ones, are a visible testimony to their commitment to their pride and sense of righteousness.

Go get 'em Larry!

Robert

----------------------------------- Most of my industrial life have had to deal with people who would ONLY compare things based on their initial cost.

Things like operating costs, maintenance costs, end of life costs and oh yes insurance costs were totally ignored.

When you give them books and they eat the covers, what are you going to do but wait for Darwin?

You find another opportunity and wait for Darwin.

Lew

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Leon" wrote

The saw wasn't turned on??? Then how would the SawStop have helped? I'd be interested in learning about that accident. Seriously. As a paramedic for several years, I saw a lot of accidents. The worst accident I've had in the shop (in over forty years) was when I was cutting a slim piece of plastic off the edge of a 2'X4' piece (for a recessed fluorescent light) I was using one of those notorious "razor" knives, utility knife, whatever. I cut a nasty gash in my left thumb. But I must confess to having had 3 beers on a hot afternoon. That was about twenty years ago. Never again. I perceive of a good many more potentials in the shop for accidents compared to the likelihood of my contacting the moving blade on my table saw. It's a question (to me) of priorities. I have no doubt that the SawStop is a fine product. It might even end up being a requirement by OSHA. It would certainly be a recommended item in a woodworking school. But considering the odds of me:

  1. winning the lottery
  2. pushing my finger into a spinning saw blade. I choose to forego the expenditure.

Max

Reply to
Max

"Leon" wrote

Do you think it was their fault?

Max

Reply to
Max

Driving a car, perhaps?

I for one have never been trained on proceders.

All your sanctimonious claptrap is based on the fact you haven't been injured. Good for you! It is too late for me to be perfect, but I am glad to know that there are those out there that are.

Your comment about the IQ of 2X4s and construction workers.... it simply shows just how far down the totem pole of society you are. Unneeded, arrogant, pathetically stupid and uninformed.

And I didn't even know that Josepi had a sock puppet!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Because I don't buy into the greed I'm proud and righteous? If I instead invest in the Whirlwind safety system am I still proud and righteous?

NOW who has righteousness, Naily? Your and Leon's wishing someone harm just doesn't sit right with me. Enjoy your karma, guys.

-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Versus 117ms for the Whirlwind. And you can both use the blade again and start the saw back up 1 second after the E-stop. The Sawstop eats a $120 Woodworker II and a $60 aluminum stop every time. And how many false stops are happening now? Like when your buddy comes over and wants to see it work...

-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There are limits, you idealist softie, you.

-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Eat the covers? Good one, Lew.

Well, I've survived the rowdy sub-teen and teen years, back before the Nanny State made everything fun illegal. And I survived 20 years of alcoholism while being an auto mechanic, both hazardous to your health, and I survived cigarettes, and I've been working with woodworking machinery for as long as I could plug something in, both in a hobby sense and as a career. I still have all five full digits on each hand and foot, plus both eyes and both ears. Either rock & roll or aspirin took its toll on my hearing (tinnitus), though. One demerit.

Give him my regards. I reckon you'll say "Hello" to Darwin before me.

-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

About 15 miles in the last year. Miles on my Harley, on the other hand...

4x4?

.Feel free to bow in my presents

Unneeded I would have to disagree with but, other than that, you seem to have a fair grasp of things.

Reply to
CW

Christmas or birthday? As long as it's not socks or underwear ...

Reply to
Swingman

While I agree for most instances, IME, a higher blade can actually help to keep you out of trouble with some types of wood, like reaction wood.

Just another example of where rule of thumb can, and should be, trumped by experience, which, in the real world, ultimately dictates what is safe(r) and what isn't.

Reply to
Swingman

Mike, you're saying that this can happen. Sure it can. But statistics say that it's so rare that it's not something that should drive one's decisions.

Reply to
J. Clarke

However they knew going in that they were doing something far more dangerous than using a table saw.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Nobody _made_ them climb into a pure oxygen environment on top of 3000 tons of high explosive all built by the lowest bidder.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That would be tedious and a waste of time and will introduce a lot of inconsitancy if cutting 30-50+ dado's in draw bottoms.

Reply to
Leon

The motor does not have to be running for the SawStop to work. The blade was still spinning down after the cut. I was reaching over to lift the rip fence off the table after cutting a dado. Just the coast down speed did the damage.

Just keep in mind that the accident that happens is the one that is not planned for. No one could believe that I could have had the accident that I had. The lesson I learned was to never look away from a machine or blade that is still moving whether you are actually doing a procedure or not.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

Geez, Leon, I learned *that* lesson around 1948 while in a shop class in high school. Safety begins with the operator.

I appreciate the attitude and concern of so many of the posters here but I still believe in "To each his own".

Thanks, Max

Reply to
Max

LMFAO.. beat me to it.. but better.

Reply to
Robatoy

Please tell me you did that on purpose??

Reply to
Robatoy

If something slips, your hand can move a *long* way in 117 ms. Remember that the Whirlwind mechanism won't engage until your hand is *right there* at the guard -- IOW, when your hand is only inches away from the blade. And moving. Moving *quickly*.

No thanks.

I agree that Whirlwind is clearly better than no protection at all. But better than SawStop? No way.

And of course surgery to reattach amputated fingers costs much less than that. The cost of triggering the SawStop is irrelevant: if you never get your hand into a spinning blade, it never triggers, and costs you nothing. If you *do* get your hand into a spinning blade, the cost of a new blade and brake cartridge is miniscule compared to the cost of treating the injury you'd receive without it.

Tell your buddy he's welcome to see it work if he ponies up the cost of the replacements -- and tests with his own finger in the teeth.

Reply to
Doug Miller