Competition for SawStop ?

In my 35+ years in construction, I have known many like you.

It gives me great pleasure to see them all manner of injuries large and small that could have been easily prevented if they had used available safety equipment.

Their injuries, especially the serious ones, are a visible testimony to their commitment to their pride and sense of righteousness.

Go get 'em Larry!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

With some thinking a 3.25" nailgun won't fire a nail out of the nailgun more than 2", it's no wonder we have these stupid accidents.

It gives me great pleasure to see them all manner of injuries large and small that could have been easily prevented if they had used available safety equipment.

Their injuries, especially the serious ones, are a visible testimony to their commitment to their pride and sense of righteousness.

Go get 'em Larry!

Robert

Reply to
Josepi

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o4g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

Yes, that's a Sawstop there. I sure wouldn't mind having one myself, especially if they'd include a nice large outfeed table kit for the price. I know outfeed tables aren't difficult to build... but I've got a servicable solution that works, it's just not as nice as I'd like.

Btw, it's Tommy.

He's got something better than Festools. A good shop assistant he can let do the boring stuff while he does the fun stuff. lol

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

You sure are a glutton for punishment, aren't you.

I believe your actual delusion was that said nailgun could inflict bodily injury at a range of 1/4 mile. It's still bull$h!t, btw.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Whyfor art thou quoting moi?

Reply to
Robatoy

Just my humble opinion here... ummm, yah! By an order of magnitude, probably.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Easy enough to calculate. Assume rotational speed of 3600 rpm = 60 revolutions per second. 114 ms * 60 revolutions = 6.84 complete revolutions of the blade. If it's a 40-tooth blade, that means 274 teeth. That's a lot of cutting. That's a lot of ouch, and a lot of damage, if the object being cut is your finger.

SawStop reacts in, what? 3 ms?

Reply to
Doug Miller

No, his delusion was that he could *see* the nail at 1/4 mile. But still bull$h!t.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

During certain types of cuts, the blade guard can make things more dangerous. For example, cuts that do not have enough of an offcut to support the blade guard on the off cut side. Once the cut is complete, there's a piece trapped between the guard and blade. Even worse if the offcut is trapped between antikickback pawls and the blade.

With every safety device, there's operations that it makes safer and operations it makes more dangerous. It doesn't mean the device is useless, it just means it needs to be removed for certain operations.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

They're both bull. He wouldn't see it, nor would it be there to be seen.

Reply to
-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote

I'm a one man shop, Mike. I can't speak for anyone but myself. I bought my first table saw in 1968. I have a very close relationship with my body parts so I don't treat them recklessly. I'm highly satisfied with the table saw I have and I can't see replacing it with one that just might out of some rare and unfortunate confluence of circumstances, significantly damage itself. YMMV. Please be careful.

Max

Reply to
Max

To Upscale, I apologize if you are already aware of or using this solution, but you know, it would be easy to modify a conventional style contractor saw to be 10 or 12 inches lower.

Reply to
Larry W

I see pros and cons to both the Sawstop and the Whirlwind designs, I'll leave that decision to their potential buyers. But in fairness, if the Sawstop is NOT running, it's blade won't drop either. I don't see either having an advantage when it comes to contact with a stationary blade.

Reply to
Larry W

Yes, and it forces you to use unsafe proceders.

Reply to
CW

They claim 5.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I don't see either having an advantage either if you drop the blade on your foot on the way to the saw...that covers the case where the blade is not stationary.

Reply to
Bill

No one trying to convince you to replace it. But to say or imply that you won't ever get hurt if you just follow safety procedures is nonsense.

Reply to
-MIKE-

This almost like a good place to ask a question which has been on my mind. According to Grizzly's web site, Grizzly G0690 runs 4300 RPM, Grizzly 1023RL runs 3450 RPM. Both are 3 HP. Is the higher speed better for cutting "sheet goods", cutting faster, or just hurling small pieces further? Although I've interjected a bit of humor, this is a serious question. To keep it on topic, neither of these saws are currently using SawStop's technology, but I think I would consider it an advantage if they did.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I don't see many pros with that whirlwind thing. It brakes the blade (rather slowly, IMO) when it senses human digits under the saw guard. I'm sorry, but one main purpose of a saw guard is to tell you, "Hey, don't put your hands here!" If you run your hands under a saw guard and your own brain doesn't warn you, then you should lose part of a finger as a life lesson. :-)

What that whirlwind won't stop, is a hand slip (from whatever cause) into the blade. For that reason, and the fact that it has a giant attachment arm on it, and it only works with the guard, it is worthless.

I think if this thing had come along *before* the sawstop, people would be blown away by it. But now, it's the equivalent of inventing the CB radio after the cell phone.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Go get 'em Larry!

I have, for the last 25 years, been working with machinery, 40 to 70 hours a week, that could rip my arm off or worse. The damage they could do would make a tablesaw injury seem like a paper cut. I have never so much as lost any skin. Your construction anecdote is not even relevent as far as I'm concerned. Different situation entirely. On the average construction site you have a large number of, if not the majority of, guys that have IQs just a bit higher than a 2x4. All in a hurry and most never having been trained in safe working proceders.

Reply to
CW