Competition for SawStop ?

When needed, I use a contractors saw that resides in a friend's garage. I trimmed about 5" off the legs of the saw after I wound up in the wheelchair. It's not perfect, but it does fine with the aftermarket Excalibur saw guide I added to it.

Reply to
Upscale

Sorry about that Rob. Inacurate snipping. got the wrong Canadian. :)

Reply to
CW

It all boils down to feeling comfortable and safe when using your equipment.

*Anything* is doable if one is willing to put up with some aggravations. For me, a raised floor is not one of those things. It's been considered and discarded as being too problematic, especially when there is an excellent quality lowered saw already available on the market. Unfortunately, that's not a Sawstop. Maybe some time in the future with additional technology, patents expiring, etcetera, a Sawstop add-on might become available. Until then, I'll be careful with the tools that don't make me feel excessively nervous to use.
Reply to
Upscale

Assuming the same chip load and same number of teeth on the blade the faster blade will cut faster.

Reply to
CW

Sure, all of that is possible, just not a likely scenario in a realistic world. In the past, we've heard from physicians and emergency personal when it comes to a tablesaw. And almost without exception, those incidents of digits being chopped off have been when someone was using a saw with the guard removed. When it comes to slipping and falling, you're much more likely to fall in front of a bus than to fall or slip at the required angle to slide one's hand or arm under an installed and properly operating blade guard.

Reply to
Upscale

The faster RPM will equate to a faster and smoother cut. BUT it can also equate to a burned cut if feed rate is slower than average.

Reply to
Leon

Good attitude. If it doesn't feel safe, don't do it. You retain many more body parts that way.

Reply to
CW

Snip

And yet you continue to live and participate in a capitalistic society....

Reply to
Leon

Max, you are already there if you really believe that common sense, agiaity, and or attention to safety factors will protect you. There will be new safety rules written in the future for the accidents that are less common and of which you have not yet heard about. Imagine my suprise 22 years ago when I thought and worked the same way and cut half my left thumb off and the TS was not turned on. I still have not seen a safety rule written to prevent the accident that I had.

Reply to
Leon

No need to apologize Larry. You're just offering up possible solutions. The fact that it's been discussed before is irrelevent. Sooner or later, someone will come up with a solution or suggestion that hasn't been mentioned before. Even the General Tools lowered Access line of tools has only been on the market for three years and that was only because I contacted them to see what modifications could be done to one of their tablesaws.

Contractor's saw already modified and in use. Someday, I'll find a suitable and accessible workshop to share or rent and then I'll be off to buy a lowered cabinet saw before you can blink.

Reply to
Upscale

The raised floor is a great way to lose dust collector ducting...and other wires and airlines etc...and storage too. There are some up-sides to this idea... but I DO get your apprehension.

Reply to
Robatoy

I make it a habit of lowering the blade beneath the table when I'm finished using the saw. I do the same thing with the router table.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Those early Apollo crew members that were burned up in their capsule during testing,,,I think they were pretty well educated and trained.

Reply to
Leon

Definately less than 5, I watched the video with my stop watch and timed the reaction time of the blade.

;~)

Reply to
Leon

I had a similar thought earlier today, on a scale of 1 to 10 with the common blade guard being 1 and the Saw Stop being a 10, I place the Whirlwind at about a 3.

BUT that is not to say that I discourage the Whirlwind people from improving their product, it is not a game. I would love to see it out perform the SawStop rather than be a little better than nothing and or the common guard. They have a ways to go. As it is now it is an answer to the saws already out there now that don't have this technonogy.

Reply to
Leon

I don't get it... I mean I get the part about people not using their guards... but I'm talking about using the guard.

You're ripping a thin board, thinner.... like 2-3" inches wide, taking off an inch. You're pushing the stock into the blade with your hand directly in front of the blade, or off to the side an inch... sure you're plenty far enough in front of the blade... so you think, until something causes your to slip, your forward momentum causes your hand to go forward. What kind of angle are we talking? 5 degrees?

That's not far fetched at all. I've seen guys on TV using the same or worse technique.

Reply to
-MIKE-

When you are done with a cut, crank the blade down below table height.

Reply to
CW

Wasn't their fault either.

Reply to
CW

------------------------------------ The wood working class I took offered by the local community college stressed this practice at every opportunity as well as only raising the blade only until the top of the material was equal to the gullet of the blade.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reminds me of when my son was a pre-teen and wouldn't wear a helmet or other protective gear while rollerblading because he didn't plan to fall! But as he grew up, he learned the meaning of "accident".

Reply to
alexy