Black and Decker Bandsaw 9411 Type I

I think about 30 years ago that was about a $70 saw, new. Now you know why you were able to pick it up for $25. More than likely it appears will maintained because it was mot used much because of what you are witnessing.

You can/will get burning from a blade that is too wide for the radius that you are cutting. If burning while cutting a straight line, cheap blade.

The BS is a machine that has to have some degree of quality for you to enjoy. Typically the more money you put into a BS the better the saw will cut.

This is how my journey went.

I probably bought that same saw 30 or so years ago and it was,,, at toy.

Next saw was a 1/2 hp 10" Craftsman that I bought shortly there after. I was a real band saw and cut decently on thin stock. Because it was difficult to align every time I used it, I seldom used it.

About 6~7 years ago I bought a big Rikon with 2hp to replace the Craftsman. I wanted a saw that would be my last BS. IIRC I paid around $999 on sale. I ordered it sight unseen with the understanding that I could return it should I find it not to my liking. I returned it less than 2 weeks later.

It has been my findings that I needed to step up in quality to fore go having to putz with the saw every time I wanted to use it. I expected/expect it to be ready to cut when I walk up to it and turn it on. NONE of the previous saws afforded me that luxury. I spent way way more than you are probably thinking of spending but I am very very happy with the saw and it eats every thing I throw at it with no fuss. It is my last and probably my son's last saw should he one day decide to keep it.

If you really have the need or want a BS I would advise looking at an older Delta or something that has a lot of steel or iron in it. Plastic and aluminum is not going to leave with a happy feeling.

Reply to
Leon

Emphasis on older. Delta isn't what it used to be.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hasn't been in years. As far back as 2000 I was having problems with Delta. I buy their stuff used, but stopped buying new. My Bandsaw was the last and worst Delta product.. I bought the American made Piece of shit, and basically had to put a lot of work to get it right. I could write a book.

Reply to
woodchucker

Back in 1992 / 1993 I worked for a tool store, and those who could afford it bought Delta. Those who couldn't bought Jet. Today I would buy a Jet before a Delta if I had to buy new. Heck, I'ld probably buy Grizzly before I bought either. I've got a 230V Delta RAS my wife bought me for my birthday 8 or 9 years ago. The only reason I haven't gotten rid of the big piece of shit is because it was a gift from my wife. It does make a mediocre table to pile things on though.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I think of Jet as over priced these days. Granted they have solid tools, same style as the old delta in many respects. But I think they are just a little too far out on price.

I remember years ago both the Unisaw and Jet cab saw were about

1150-1200... the next year for some reason they were pushing 1650.. then ....... I know cast iron went up due to oil, and raw materials, but... that was a large increase. And I don't think most of it was metal, I think it was just hey we can.
Reply to
woodchucker

I hope she's doesn't read RW. ;-)

I bought a Delta drill press (18-900L). I couldn't be more pleased with it. My cabinet saw is also very good, much better than anything else for its price. I wouldn't buy their new saw, though.

Each manufacturer is strong in a tool, or two, but either overpriced for others or just not up to snuff. Because a company makes a great tool, doesn't mean they all are.

Reply to
krw

Where did you find a manual and do you know where I can find one today?

Reply to
Chet

"Chet" wrote

Chances are that the question will not be answered, cause the person that wrote the post two years ago is prolly not here now.

Reply to
Morgans

You are in luck, I am retired and am still checking the newsgroups. I found the manual for the saw by googling on the model brand and numbers.

I found mine was model number 9411.04.

If that does not work contact me directly.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Keith can you post a link for me?

Reply to
Chet

I was researching and found that the B&D 9411 should be able to handle a 3/16 wide blade start slow and adjust your tension. also look and make sure your riding bearings are not pushing the blade. they should just be a hair off the blade only there to keep you from pushing the blade to far back as you cut. If they are to far forward they can cause the blade to swing off.

if all else replace your tires.

Reply to
Chet

I've been searching for a manual. Can you tell me where you downloaded yours?

Reply to
rivercityguylhc

What size blade does the 9411 type 1 take?

Reply to
bobdude131160

replying to bobdude131160, Lexparts wrote: Should be a 59 1/2?.

Reply to
Lexparts

I know this is an old thread, however since it came up on my Google search maybe this can help someone else along the way... I found the B&D Model 9411 12" Bandsaw manual posted here:

The "Vintage Machine" website has been a huge blessing for me to find manuals as I buy various old tools! Enjoy!

Reply to
Marcus