Black & Decker KC9036 Cordless Screwdriver Charger Voltage/Polarity?

I have a Black & Decker Cordless screwdriver model KC9036 3.6V model (the one with the swivel handle).

Someone has taken my charger and I can't work out from the manual what specification I need to replace it - it is a small barrel connector but I don't know what polarity or voltage is required - presumably something like 6V?, but there is no polarity marking on the screwdriver or in the manual specifications. Not even sure it is a DC supply...

Can anyone help? I guess the charger probably says what voltage it delivers on it...

TIA.

Reply to
CM

I managed to throw the charger for mine (same model) away by mistake, thinking it went with a knackered old drill/driver that I was throwing out. I looked up where to order B&D spares from (quick Google) and rang up and quoted my credit card number. Ok, I could have cobbled something together out of the electronic junk box I suppose, but I too was lacking the info you are enquiring about, and in the end it was less hassle just to cough up for the genuine article. Unfortunately, I cannot recall how much it cost - about a tenner I think, including carriage.

HTH

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

Thanks for the tip - however, as it happens I have access to all manner of transformers, so I just wanted to know the voltage rating.

Luckily B & Q were prepared to open a pack and let me have a look - I popped in this afternoon and apparently its 5.2V a.c. - as stamped on the transformer casing,

Reply to
CM

Ah, but is that on-load or off load? I've been caught out like that before.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

The stated voltage from a transformer is usually given as its on load condition - anything else would be pointless. Also, the charging voltage for a Ni-Cad isn't that critical - it's the current which matters.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

OK, I didn't explain. I have found that the voltage quoted in chargers and what used to be called "battery eliminators" (PSUs) often bears little relation to what actually comes out of them. However, you are quite right that in the case of a NiCd charger it will probably be current limited in some crude way and the exact voltage is a bit academic. It's PSUs that are really iffy - the regulation is often absolutely appalling.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

The voltage quoted on any charger will be nominal since most will vary according to the load. Apart from perhaps a constant voltage charger designed for SLA batteries. With a 'battery eliminator', the battery it's designed to replace will have a varying voltage according to state, so assuming the eliminator stays within that window it should work ok.

With a regulated PSU, it should regulate reasonably well within its stated load - but could well show nonsense if you check it open circuit.

But in the OP's case, it's purely a transformer as its output is AC.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I have the same cordless screw driver so I will attach a photo of the charger plug with the details. Also can you advise me how to use the drill attachment? Many thanks Louise

[IMG]
Louise

I am sure Dave will be much relieved to finally have the answer 11 years after he asked!

What kind of drill attachment do you have? Most are usually just add on three jaw chucks with a hex mount shaft on the back. So you stick it in the hex drive on the screwdriver and then put your drill in the chuck.

(note you can also get drills with a hex shank these days which are probably easier than a wobbly chuck attachment)

Reply to
John Rumm

replying to CM, Techno wrote: After 13 years, here's your answer: Positive outside, negative inside. Works quite well with a Casio AD-5GL 9V 800mA adapter

Reply to
Techno

I need a NEW one or a used. How can I get it ? Thank you in advance

Reply to
Dimitris

Pop back to 2004 when that question was asked and they might still be available!

(there are plenty of better alternatives available now)

Reply to
John Rumm

Does anyone sell a 3.6v nicd charger today? With a nasty tool yes, without it I doubt it. You can always modify your own wallwart to do it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

replying to Techno, Glendon wrote: THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Reply to
Glendon

replying to tabbypurr, Glendon wrote: I went to a battery supply store and found a universal charger there.

Reply to
Glendon

So much-a-do about a 3.6 v screw driver?! How much torque it has, or, what useful thing it can drive ? Teeny weeny 2 mm screw to a depth of 5 to 10 mm Big deal ...!!

Reply to
gopalansampath

I put up PB with a 2.4v one, it was perfectly capable of it. A mains drill was way quicker, though a challenge to control the stopping point. Thankfully things have moved on.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Why do battery vacuum cleaners brag about their battery voltage? It's irrelevant.

Reply to
Max Demian

an attempt to convince buyers they're [more] powerful

No it's not. Even an 18v pack can't deliver 1.6kW, imagine a 2.4v vac with the same cells.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

For the same reason cordless power tools do. I expect they got the habit directly from that source. I suspect it is 80% marketing, 15% what sort of cells and motors the industry is tooled up for and perhaps

5% design optimisation; for instance, practical switch, wiring and motor currents.
Reply to
Roger Hayter