Subject Author Posted Replies

Which paint for a plywood garage
Hi everyone I have a timber framed single skin plywood garage which I'm turning into an art studio. It's weather proof with good ventilation on a concrete base. The outside of the garage will be...
7
7

help needed for old fireplace
I recently moved into an older house and have a hollow metal coal fireplace that is in a hell of a is stained badly,it looks like the top layer is peeling in places and has drips of something down the...
11
11

Air compressor
Any suggestion why my 20 y/o cheap & nasty Clarke air compressor has suddenly decided that it's very. very tired? The motor only turns over rather painfully 2 or 3 times and then stalls.
7
7

Corrugated sheet shed walls
I'm rebuilding a garden shed (for a large oil tank and garden tools) and plan to clad it with corrugated steel sheeting (probably aligned vertically) but I can't decided how to deal with corners and...
2
2

Desktop PC problems.
Guess my old desktop has finally died. Despite recently fitting an SSD to it in an attempt to keep it reasonably up to date. Yesterday, it booted OK, but failed to make the normal internet connection....
51
51

velux window and roof intergrity
Normally you would put stringers above and below the window - those will pick up and support the cut rafters. If you want to add extra strength then nail a pair of additional rafters beside the pair...
9
9

Soldering re-chargable cells.
It has been said soldering to Ni-Cad etc cells is a bad thing as the heat can damage them. Hence the pro method of welding which presumably transfers less heat to the inside. Does the same apply to...
55
55

OT Minecraft Kids Servers
Hi peeps, My 7 year old has discover minecraft and I am looking for safe kid friendly servers so he can play but need to be invited by most it seems, can anyone suggest a server or offer me an invite...
10
10

LIDL inverter welder
Yes. It's not much bigger than a toaster, weighs I suppose about 3 kg. I think it goes up to 90 amps, claims to do 3 mm rod. Runs off 13A socket. I inherited a traditional transformer one some years...
8
8

Photobucket fix for browsers
Many images lodged with Photobucket and displayed on various forums, now just display PB's warning about third party use not being allowed unless a ridiculously large premium has been paid to PB....
19
19

Sleeving the earth - my imagination?
As a corollary to my earlier thread, I have also seen white sleeving on the earth. I thought green was used before the present green and yellow. Was white ever used to represent earth?
12
12

Plastic window - what are the best materials?
I want to replace a window in our boat with plastic, it needs to be 5mm thick but apart from that there's no particular limitations. What's the best type of plastic for scratch resistance and...
31
31

2 live wires - my imagination?
In a lightswitch the wire entering is live but once the switch is turned on so to is the wire leaving. Is it my imagination or was it once the practice to place red (at the time) sleeve on the...
20
20

OT - calling all hipsters - C90 cassette - HK2000
Remember a pal buying a separates Pioneer system. Not the most expensive on the market, but not cheap either. Every single unit had the mains earth connected to chassis. I suppose to conform to UK...
67
67

Cleaning Block Paving
I really don't want to get into Jet Washiong as I believe it ruins the surface of the blocks - however I would like to restore the subtle colours and was thinking of going out when it next rains hard...
8
8