Fused neutral cutout.

Just has a letter from UK Power Networks stating their records show I have one of these which is outdated and needs to be replaced urgently.

Be interested to know why this has suddenly become urgent. ;-)

However, mine was replaced by a single line fuse with neutral link some 40 odd years ago - before I bought this house.

But the point of this post is the diagram on the letter - to allow you to identify your unit - shows an earth terminal as being part of their obligatory supply. Last time I checked, this wasn't the case. Have the regs changed? Can I demand they fit one FOC?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't think they're obliged to provide one but in London "they" will provide PME free if it's available in your area so long as your installation is up to date (which Adam thought meant the main bonding).

See

Robin

Fuck knows what the meter installers think up to not do a job. I was refused a meter installation on a job last week because there was no earth rod.

True there was was no earth rod, but there was also no CU or indeed any wiring (other than their incoming supply).

"Why do I need an earth rod now?" "So I can install the meter" "The meter does not need an earth" "But you might not fit one" "Is that the wrong meter you have brought?" "No" "Why have you brought a three phase meter?"

Packed his bags and went.

- Adam

Reply to
ARW

I'd love to have three phase in case I buy an electric car in the future.

Reply to
Scott

Well you will have to do with a 32A Mode 3 charging point then:-)

Let me know if you want one in the near future, I can apply for the grant available (75% of the installation cost up to a maximum of £500) whilst the government are offering grants.

Or if you want to DIY it then I will have to get around to writing a WIKI page on the subject. It's not as easy as just sticking a 16A or 32A socket on the outside wall.

Reply to
ARW

Is there anything special I should know to go in the new box in my (half complete) garage?

The house supply is 100A, and the spur out there currently has a 63A RCD.

I have no immediate plans for an electric car, but it would be silly not to allow for it.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Is that with a 50kw DC charger or the mundane 32A AC one?

Reply to
dennis

Most electric cars/PHEVs can be charged from a 13a socket. (Overnight). Intermediate chargers are around 30a single phase.

Rapid charging shortens battery life. Three phase costs more.

Reply to
harry

63A RCD is not very helpful;-).

However the main thing to consider at this point is at least getting a cable in that is big enough to power your future needs (no such thing a a cable that is too big).

Mode 3 charging, which is almost certainly going to be the big seller due to the grants, can supply up to 63A. I suspect that the 32A will be the big seller due to the available supply.

I'll have to do a Wiki as there is the type of RCD and possibly making the supply a TT supply.

I'll help you size a suitable cable if it is still possible to get one in.

Reply to
ARW

Any practical[1] mainstream EV could only be charged to a tiny fraction of its capacity from 13A overnight.

[1] i.e. not the virtue signalling toy ones like yours.
Reply to
John Rumm

Drivel. As usual you are "expert" on something you have zero knowledge and experience of.

No-one runs their electric car to depletion. Or anywhere near. Only supercars have very large batteries. Most have batteries of 40 Kwh or less. Many have less than 20 Kwh. Easily capable of recharging overnight on 13a socket.

The reason for these special sockets is so that in the future they can be separately metered and charged for at a much higher rate to make up for fuel tax losses.

None of this will ever happen. If everyone had an electric car and was charging it overnight, the system could not cope, especially charging at a fast rate. The proles will be back on public transport, few people will be able to afford an (electric) car.

Depreciation is huge. No-one wants a SH electric car due to potential battery replacement costs.

Plus there probably isn't enough lithium/neodymium to go round.

Reply to
harry

Its simple arithmetic harry. 13A @ 240V for 8H is ~25kWh - about the same energy content as that contained in 5L of petrol.

You say that like its a good thing!

While its understandable, since the pain of actually running out of power is considerable, it means even less of the energy stored is available for use. Less of a problem if you have "loads" in the first place, but more difficult when you need all the range you can get.

For some version of "very large".

Once "normal" normal EVs have even larger batteries,

Indeed - both far too small.

The 20kWh one could, the 40kWh one would get to just over half charged in 8 hours.

The reason for the special sockets is (for now at least) so that one can use a more appropriate charge rate.

I can't see separate metering at elevated tax rates being a big selling point.

Can't disagree with either of those.

Lithium is less of a problem than many expect. The irony being all that surplus Thorium that gets dug up with the other rare earth elements. Makes you wonder why no one has thought of using that for generating electricity.

Reply to
John Rumm

You only need a gallon of batteries to get it going again don't you?

Reply to
ARW

I can see a market for some kind of portable power bank for getting a EV to the nearest charging point... kind of like the power banks for your phone.

(perhaps a hole on the dashboard that says "Insert 400 x Alkaline AA cells here)

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm

Haven?t the RAC started to equip a few of their vans with something like that?

The AA said they would at one time but I don?t know how far they progressed it.

Both organisations only intended to give enough charge to enable a stranded EV to get to a proper charging point. To do more would probably mean having some vehicles equipped with or towing a reasonably large generator. Perhaps owners of fairground rides can branch out into a new business.

GH

GH

Reply to
Marland

I foresee a Poundland / RAC joint venture.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Nobody runs their battery to depletion. Plus there will be charge points at workplaces. Batteries of more than 20Kwh will be rare.

It's not a selling point. It's what will happen in the future when electric cars are the norm. If you can't see this you're not clever. Just as zero road tax is a temporary inducement. The motors used on electric cars are around six times as efficient as ICE Plus energy is recovered by regeneration. Transport costs/losses for electricity are negligible. Also electricity can be generated using gas. Plus they can be recharged for free with home PV power.

The cost of infra-structure is the problem.

Reply to
harry

It's a full sized car that outperforms equivalent ICE cars. I am a trend setter. Inferior intellects follow on.

Reply to
harry

We have them. It's called a tow truck.

Reply to
harry

As the efficiency of electric cars is around six times that of ICE,.....= six liters of petrol. Plus regeneration = yet more.

harry