Air conditioner over fused - what?

My son is buying a townhome and had it inspected. The inspection report said that the A/C was overfused. This sounds like a simple fix to me - that of replacing the breaker with a lower rated breaker.

Or am I missing something important here?

Reply to
jcrookshank

That is what it sounds like to me also. I suggest your son ask the inspector what it means. He got paid to find and explain the problems.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

There should be a nameplate on the outside of the condensing unit that will say what the maximum fuse size should be. Compare that to the actual fuse/circuit breaker that is protecting that circuit.

Reply to
John Grabowski

The inspector was just reporting that the breaker was too large for the wire size. He wasn't making any judgement about the ampacity necessary for the A/C. It's entirely possible that the a/c would run on the appropriate sized breaker, then again, maybe not.

Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

Are there by any chance two sets of breakers for the unit. In the county seat near me, code requires a second breaker located at or near the outside unit. I assume this a safety factor so a technician working on the unit can see and be sure that he has no power to the unit and that someone in the basement hasn't flipped the breaker back on. Or maybe to foil the techs tendency to work on a hot unit to avoid climbing up and down the stairs. So, anyway, the practice around here is to oversize the outside breaker so if there is a problem only the inside one flips off. I'm not an electrician or HVAC guy but that's what I was told...I only sold the breakers.

Reply to
Tom G

How do you get to that conclusion? Wire size was not mentioned, only the AC was over fused.

What we need to know is the wire size, breaker size, and the draw of the AC.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Something else to consider. It's possible that the disconnect switch on the outside of the house may say '60' on it(if it looks like a circuit breaker) and be nothing more than a disconnect.

Reply to
HeatMan