Air Conditioner- fix or place?

I recently had my air conditioner (Trane split system, r22 condenser, mfd 4 /97)inspected on an Angies's List 20 point inspection for $70. My air cond itioner barely cooled the entire 12 years we lived here (we live in Califor nia and the temperature is rarely boiling so we rarely use it). They check ed it and said it needs to be recharged, estimate $50 per lb., for 8 lbs, a nd leak checked. After the estimate that was it. I asked if everything el se seemed okay, as per the 20 point check. No answer.

At this rate, am I better off fixing it or replacing it? BTW, my house is about 2400 sq ft.

Reply to
buddygenki

Hard to say. New units are more efficient and may pay for itself. Given the age, anything can go at any time. Get some prices on new units to start.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Is it blowing cold at all? If so you shouldn't need all 8 pounds and even then that seems like a lot. Be careful, those"cheap" clean and check deals are simply a sales call. I would want to see that freon weighed. If all the gas leaked out, there is a good chance you will need something expensive like the condenser or evaporator coil and simply replacing the system might be a better option. What is the SEER of the one you have? (typically the model number on an old Trane (1200 = 12 seer)

Reply to
gfretwell

Since the outfit gave you no indication of whether or not the unit is actually OK, there is no way you can determine.

I'd go to Angie's list and give the outfit a poor rating, then find one that knows how to determine the actual condition.

That said: How old is the unit? If it's over 20 years, you might just be better off getting it replaced

Reply to
philo

So you paid $70 and the asshole refused to even answer your questions. I'd refuse to pay him. If you already did and used a credit card, or check, cancel the payment. The report the asshole to the BBB and complain to Angies List as well.

$50 per pound sounds like highway robbery. I bet you can buy a canister of freon and rent the stuff needed to install it for much less. But does it really need the freon? After refusing to pay the guy, get a second opinion.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

r22 condenser, mfd 4/97)inspected on an Angies's List 20 point inspection for $70. My air conditioner barely cooled the entire 12 years we lived here (we live in California and the temperature is rarely boiling so we rarely use it). They checked it and said it needs to be recharged, estimate $50 per lb., for 8 lbs, and leak checked. After the estimate that was it. I asked if everything else seemed okay, as per the 20 point check. No answer.

it? BTW, my house is about 2400 sq ft.

You didn't mention how many BTU or tons is your old system. You also didn't mention if your residence is old and drafty, or modern and well insulated. Both are relevant.

I service HVAC, though I'm in PRNY, not PRC. With a system that old, it probably needs cleaning. A good HVAC guy would take the top off your outdoor unit, mix up some cleaning solution and pour on. There are three types, I use the purple stuff. For many reasons, not the pink or green. After three to five minutes, rinse the solution (and lots of dirt) with a garden hose. Repeat, the second wash will also get a lot of dirt.

Most of the time, no refrigerant is needed. Many techs are big on weigh in a charge, look for leaks, etc. My first treatment of choice is to chemical clean the outdoor condenser.

After the condenser is clean, it needs to be dry to check the refrigrant level. So, the guy should come back in two or three days to check the "Freon".

BTW, Freon is a brand name, like Sunoco or Pepsi.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

system, r22 condenser, mfd 4/97)inspected on an Angies's List 20 point inspection for $70.

They checked it and said it needs to be recharged, estimate $50 per lb., for 8 lbs, and leak checked.

replacing it? BTW, my house is about 2400 sq ft.

Questions for you. If you can't answer them, be sure to ask the tech. Get back to me with the information, please.

1) What was the outdoor temperature when the guy did the check? 2) What was the suction pressure while running and stabilized? 3) What was the discharge pressure while running and stabilized? 4) What was the suction line temperature at the unit, while running and stabilized? 5) What was the superheat? 6) What was the temperature of the condenser discharge air? 7) What was the delta T across the evaporator? 8) How many tons was / is the system? 9) What is the amp draw of the outdoor unit? Rated, and actual. 10) Is the system TXV or orifice (orifice is some times called a piston). 11) What was the temperature of the liquid line filter drier with the system running and stabilizied?

Please note, that if the system is dirty (it has to be) that a recharge and weighing in new refrigerant will not make much change to the performance of the system. A dirty condenser simply does not work properly. And there is often no way to know it's dirty by looking.

This seems like a lot of information to ask the

20 point guy, but (well, most of it) it's relevant.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When I was working for a friend, he'd get about $2500 to replace the indoor and outdoor units. This was ten years ago, the OP will likely get prices higher than that. Being in PRC, and all.

I'd vote for competent repair company, not a gas and go.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Since you appear troubled by reading comprehension, I'll edit out some text, and make it easier for you.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Agree with most of what others have already said. Especially the question by Gfre, as to whether the system is actually running/cooling or did it have a problem that initiated the checkup? It's not unusual for scammers to offer $70 checkups and then tell you that you need expensive repairs, sell you a new system, etc. At the very least, I'd call in another company for an opinion without telling them what this guy said.

The cost of R22 has varied, looks like it's about $10/lb now. $50/lb seems OK if it needs a pound or two, but $400 for 8 pounds seems excessive to me too. But before getting to that, it needs to be determined what's leaking. If it's one of the shrader valves, it's a $1 fix. If it's the evaporator, may be time for a new system. But I wouldn't trust a guy that won't even answer questions.

Reply to
trader_4

Jerry's right. This guy charged you $70 to come over and try to sell you some freon. A good con.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

I just heard back from the guy. He stated:

Just got your email forwarded to me for some reason the Angie's List email system does not always forward. Attached is a copy of the Big deal promotio n that you bought. He did perform the items on the list, and found you to b e low on refrigerant. All other items are within specifications. Let me kno w if you want us to come and re-charge the system

"Calibrating and leveling thermostat

Cleaning filters as needed

Lubricating and inspecting bearings for wear

Monitoring operating pressures of refrigerant

Inspecting safety devices for proper operation

Inspecting disconnect box for proper rating and installation

Monitoring volts and amps on fan motor

Tightening all electrical connections

Inspecting and testing contactor for burns and/or pits" ________

They did not a temp difference 10degree at 70/60. That is the only notatio n on the invoice except for the needs recharge est $12 service $50 per lb. Recommend evoc- leak check and recharge.

Reply to
buddygenki

l system does not always forward. Attached is a copy of the Big deal promot ion that you bought. He did perform the items on the list, and found you to be low on refrigerant. All other items are within specifications. Let me k now if you want us to come and re-charge the system

ion on the invoice except for the needs recharge est $12 service $50 per lb . Recommend evoc- leak check and recharge.

I think most of us are still curious as to whether you had an actual problem that lead to this checkup or was it working? I would think with 8 pounds of R22 missing, it likely would either not run or have an obvious problem. You didn't say how many tons, but 8 pounds sounds like it could be all of it for a typical residential system.

Reply to
trader_4

This was an earlier email, they sent: "Sorry I double checked Matt's paperwork and I realized he had written a 4 not a 2. The system fully charged takes 8 lbs of refrigerant, it should not require that much to re-charge."

I live in a relatively mild spot in Calif. It only gets so hot that I try to turn it on about 5 days a year. I can feel some cool air come out, but it isn't much and definitely doesn't cool the whole house. For years, we j ust kind of ignored it, since we barely turn it on. But I saw the inspecti on advertised and thought, I should have this looked at.

Reply to
buddygenki

You can check the delta yourself. Turn on the system, let it run a while and check the air temp going into the return, compare that to the output as close to the unit as you can get. If you are getting a

15 degree or more delta,. I might not do anything. If you are just "low" after 18 years, you may not have a bad enough leak to justify evacuating the system, charging with nitrogen to test for leaks and putting in new (recycled) freon at $50 a pound. That is particularly true if he is not even sure how low it is. Find someone who will top it up, and check it again next year..
Reply to
gfretwell

Sorry, there was more to the 20 points that I didn't list above.

"Inspect electrical for exposed wires.

inspecting and testing capacitors

inspecting fan blades

inspecting service valves

measuring temperature difference

monitoring compressor for proper amp draw, volt draw and wiring connections"

Do you think on this type of "tune up" they should be able to tell whether there was a leak or not, and where it might be?

Reply to
buddygenki

If you have a decent delta and it is not icing up, you can figure out how bad the leak is by just running it another season. Being "a little low" may not really mean anything on a system that old. I would still gamble up to a pound of freon before I did anything. (But I still have a jug in the shed) ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

I thought 8 lbs of Freon is pretty large amount for a system?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

My thinking that 8 lbs is just about all that a 3 ton or so unit will take. If they do evaucte all the freon that is in the unit, it is suspose to be reused or sent back for cleaning and recycling.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If it is a pound or two low I would think it might be icing up.. If so the air flow would be very low if at all after an hour or so of run time.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery