cooktop cutout too large?

Replaced a 30 year old electric cooktop about 18 months ago with a smooth ceramic one. Had trouble at the time finding a cooktop that would fit in the oversized hole. Eventually ended up with Kitchenaid that had a 1/4-3/8" overlap around all four sides. Yesterday it cracked all the way across the short edge after a timer dropped onto one corner. Question is: could the glass have had undue stress from the weight load on the small overlap, making the crack likely to happen again with the slightest drop? Was this a crack waiting to happen? We have to decide whether to replace the glass (about $300) or go back to an electric coil cooktop for about the same amount. Anyone have experience with this?

Reply to
bbennett53

May have been, glass is funny that way. Stress or scratch it today, break it with just a touch a month later.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I can't tell you that but I *can* tell you that we have had a glass top Kitchen Aid gas cooktop hanging from the same 1/4"-3/8" overlap for ten years.

Reply to
dadiOH

Only 18 months? I'd be back at the store or on the phone getting a replacement. The squeaky wheel get the oil.

Reply to
RayV

I'd take a look at what the install guide says the minumum support around the edges should be and I'll bet it's probably more than 1/4". Usually, the only problem with a hole too large is if the appliance going in can't cover it up for appearance purposes. If it covers it like here, then it's usually easy to install some additional support from below that will fill in the rest of the oversize hole to give the required support. That's what I would have done.

Reply to
trader4

What material would you recommend be used to install additional support from below to reduce the size of the cooktop cut-out hole? Our granite cut-out is a bit too large for the new cooktop we want to purchase.

Reply to
Marilyn

Does it need anything at all? How much cooktop will extend beyond the cutout? How much does the cooktop weigh? From a practical standpoint about all that I can see that you could easily do would be to cut some L shaped wood pieces to fit which extend a few inches out and then up into the opening and then use construction adhesive to anchor them to the bottom of the granite.

Reply to
trader_4

What do you call a bit?

All 4 sides.

In inches.

This is not Twitter. People are free to give all the relevant information, and they should.

Does the stove company offer a larger escutcheon or anything else for this purpose? Check with them first.

I don't have granite. Is there anything underneath the granite, like wood (how thick?), or is it just granite all the time?

Reply to
micky

On Tue, 11 May 2021 13:45:02 +0000, Marilyn posted for all of us to digest...

I would advise asking the company the installed the countertop.

Reply to
Tekkie©