antique bottles

I have old bottles, how can I find out how much they are worth? Any good links? Where is a good place to start? Thanks

Jane K.

eBay is your friend. Do a search there for the kind you have.

Reply to
PanHandler

It will be difficult for you, not knowing the nomenclature, the terms, etc. A public library would be the best place.

If you could, please provide a description of what you have. How many? What color? What size? What shape?

I have collected bottles for quite some time, and am very familiar with them. However, without the basics, it is impossible to give you any information.

Do you have a link to where I could see the bottles? Can you send me an e mail of the bottles?

The down side is that not many bottles are worth a lot of money. The up side is that some are, and some are just particularly interesting to know what era they came from and what they were for.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

They are worth what someone will pay for them. However, a starting point is a good bookstore which has a bunch of books devoted to antiques and collectibles. That will give you a general idea. If you sell locally you probably can't get what the books say the value is. ebay might be your best bet.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Check out antique shops, halve the sticker price. Ebay sale prices. Buying guides sometimes are followed, but tend to be very high. If they are not mass produced, collectors who specialize probably would pay higher price. You would probably find some prices if you did a Google search. What are they?

Reply to
Norminn

I used to be an antique dealer in old bottles. You will be surprised how many of your bottles you will find in an antique bottle book. It will give you some idea as to the approximate value.

W. Wells

I'm not sure this is the type of bottles under discussion here, but my dad left several whiskey bottles to me. Not of any value I'm sure, but one I would never sell, I would like to know the value of, to impress on my daughter to keep, after I'm gone. :)

Have you ever seen a Jim Beam 100 month anniversary bottle encased in an automobile on wheels. Looks like a old time delivery truck with "Jewel Co." on the side? It looks just like a toy. It's about 8"H x 5"W x 10"L and burgundy colored. Could be 50+ years old.

Not sure it matters enough to go searching on eBay, just thought I'd ask since you collect bottles, and may have seen something like this. TIA...

Barbara

Reply to
chicagofan