Cooktop Installation

Installing a cooktop.

It's dropped in, wired, everything done except for securing the cooktop to the counter.

My wife wants me to caulk and seal between the cooktop flange and the counter before screwing it down.

Any alternatives to caulk and sealing?

Reply to
Ted Borck

What do the instructions say? Caulk may not like the heat.

Reply to
Art

Sounds like a nice sanitary thing to do. Just lift each edge a little, run a bead of clear silicone under it, set it down and remove excess. No problem with heat and no problem with spills. Ought to please everyone. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I wouldn't do it - if you ever have to remove the cooktop you'll be wishing you hadn't.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

What is the 'top' actually made of ? Is it glass or ceramic. If so, think about how to get it to 'let go' of the counter if you ever need to have it serviced. Our Kitchenaid ceramic surface gas cooktop comes with a roll of double sided foam tape. I thought about it for a while and decided K/A knows best (no caulk. R

Reply to
Rudy

Porcelain coated steel.

That's my concern.

If it needs servicing (probably not, but?), I'll be the one who has to un-stick the cooktop from the counter top. After a few years, having to remove it may damage or de-laminate the countertop.

What kind of double side foam tape (color, width etc) did you get get with your installation kit?

Reply to
Ted Borck

IMHO, caulking would make it difficult to remove for replacement/servicing.

Reply to
Ted Borck

Get a new wife?

Reply to