Matching drywall surfaces.

I rip off portions of drywall in a 30 year old house, big rectangular hole that is, and replace it with the same type of drywall. Both existing and new is 1/2" thick. The problem is the new drywall after installation is about

1/8" thicker. I have four of those 2' x 3' patches and in all cases the new drywall is always about 1/8" thicker after installation. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I'm pretty sure I've purchased 1/2" and not 5/8" drywall but I check it tomorrow. Not too much of a problem as I could make it match. Just more mud and work..
Reply to
Jack

Happens every time for me too. The sizes seem to have changed. I haven't come up with a great solution though, so I'd be interested to hear what others have to suggest.

-Kev> I rip off portions of drywall in a 30 year old house, big rectangular hole

Reply to
kevin

"Old" drywall was 3/8" . Your 1/2" IS 1/8 thicker.

You can still buy 3/8" rock

Reply to
Rudy

I also have a 30 yr old house with 3/8 drywall. A real PITA when you have to do things like replace a door.

Reply to
RayV

the old stuff was probably 3/8".

Reply to