EPDM pond liner as roof covering

Local garden centre sell EPDM pond liner in a variety of widths and they just cut off as much as you need from a big roll. It seems to be 1.2 mm thick, same as the roofing stuff.

Is this the same stuff that is sold for roofing purposes ?, because it is easier to fetch it from there, but they don't sell adhesives.

If so, what sort of adhesives are used ?.

Looking online it seems that there is a one-part adhesive used to stick down the central part of the covering, possibly water-based, leaving a band about a foot wide round the edge which is then stuck down with contact adhesive.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

I don't think it is quite as UV stable as the roofing grade.

I used old evil solvent Bostik contact adhesive to stick an offcut on the top of my coal bunker when the old roofing felt started leaking. It tolerates the flexure of the lid much better than the stiff rigid felt ever did and is still going strong after more than a decade.

I suspect it may not last as well as the right stuff. Top of a roof is a tough hot UV exposed location whereas the bulk of a pond liner can reasonably be expected to be under water and so relatively cool as a result. Pond liner tends to fail eventually in the zone between the high water line and the bank edge on the south facing side.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Would not contact adhesive tend to go soft in the heat and no doubt smell terrible! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A coat of UV reflective paint perhaps? I know it exists, but have no idea where you might get it, we had cans of the stuff when I worked in the defence industry. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Like others I wonder about the UV resistance. You can buy it more or less cut to size on ebay. I bought a small piece recently worked out about £9 per sqm delivered. I used

but no doubt there are others. Water based latex contact adhesive for the main part and full lead solvent based contact adhesive for the edges and any flashing pieces.

Beware foam rollers for the solvent based adhesive spreading as mine dissolved within a few minutes.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Made and supplied by whom ?. Can you post brand names for each type ?.

There is a firestone-branded contact adhesive but I don't know if it is special epdm adhesive.

Reply to
Andrew

I don't know if this site has any pertinent information - it was bookmarked in case it came in handy one day:

PeterC

My containers are as follows

Waterbased latex Firestone RubberCover

Solvent based adhesive "ClassicBond"

ClassicBond also do a water based adhesive and the rubber itself.

The ebay shop I linked to do all that you will need.

Reply to
Bob Minchin