Using Firestone EPDM pond liner for flat garage roof.

Has anyone done this ?.

Local garden centre sells it, so easier to purchase but they don't sell the adhesive that you need to make lap joints.

I would also need something to finish the top of the upstand on three sides while the gutter end folds under somehow.

regards

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

No tried it but I recall seeing adverts for rubber type flat roof coverings in various places. They were sold on being 'one piece' - so no need to join.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Chances are that it would overheat and self-destruct. When used in its normal environment, it's kept cool by the pond water. On the top of a shed, it wouldn't be!

Reply to
Roger Mills

The big gotcha is that it's not compatible in any way with bitumen, you can't even lay it on old bitumen according to the mfr (I forget which mfr). I suppose some other barrier sheet under it would fix that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Typically the old roof is beyond repair. Few things stick to bitumen. It flows. So best to remove the old roof, add insulation, base sheet, then the EPDM layer and use adhesive accordingly.

Reply to
Fredxx

Ther exists a propber bonded UV proof rubber covering for flat rooves.

Why not use that?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I used the firestone roofing EPDM on my garage roof, not sure what (if any?) difference there is between roofing membrane and pond liner, it's possible they have two markets for the same product ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I used an offcut on the top of my 3x2m coal bunker and it has held up to UV and sunshine ever since but I suspect it is close to the maximum size without getting into thermal expansion issues. It has lasted somewhat better than the classic roof covering it replaced which didn't really get on with the flexure associated with opening and closing the lid.

I'd be wary of using pond liner on a roof since it isn't engineered to stand up to that duty. ISTR there are variants which are on sale.

Reply to
Martin Brown