Protect microphone connections

I've got an XLR mic that is almost open to the elements, a large but covered space.

It's been there a couple of years and the mic and connections seem fine, though the wingnuts and clamping screws are lightly rusted.

Should I put anything on the mic's connections/body?

I think I'll just clean up and put vaseline on the wingnuts/clamping screws unless someone suggests better.

It's a fairly static installation so doesn't get touched from year to year.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Does the mike itself allow air inside enough to do internal damage? I think Vaseline is a good idea really all over. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

For outside broadcast use, we'd tape over the body and connector with PVC tape. With a decent tape, it last for many years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No.

Self amalgamting tape yes. PVC tape has to be very carefully applied, decent overlaps and *NO* crinkles, almost impossible to do on the doubly curved surfaces of an XLR. I don't like PVC taping or bagging any connections be they multis or single XLRs, water will get in (overnight condensation if nothing else) and can't get back out thus making a "nice" high humidity enviroment... Much better to just to keep direct rain fall (or sprinklers) off but have things open so air can circulate to dry anything that does get wet.

We'll probably have to agree to disagree... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Probably a better answer today - wasn't in stores in my OB days. ;-)

It stretches.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes it does. I can make perfectly waterproof cable joints with it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

petroleum jelly can be used on electrical connections & would stop the plug/socket rusting. I wouldn't recommend most other types of grease.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's an insulator isn't it, so is the theory that the connectors will push it aside but the surrounding film will provide protection?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Well it is in a covered space so no rain but otherwise the atmosphere within will be that of that atmosphere outside though wind is inhibited.

Reply to
AnthonyL

And, in this case, the tape layers slide downslope of the curved surface before crinkling up to let damp air in and retain the resulting overnight condensation which eventually accumulates until it reaches equilibrium a few days to a few months later.

SA tape is a better alternative but only if you can make the joint gas- tight otherwise you'll just be delaying the inevitable. Creating a gas- tight joint using SA tape relies largely on luck - Are you feeling lucky, Punk? :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Wrap a small packet of silica gel in with it.

Reply to
dennis

In the long term that would be worse than doing nothing as it will eventually saturate with water and unless the silica gel is very pure it will release ions into the water that increase the conductivity and enhance corrosion.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker