Vertical Radiator - connections at top?

Hi

I'm installing a couple of vertical radiators and was wondering whether there is any way of making the terminations at the top instead of the bottom? It will make for an easier and neater install...

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

Yes but it would not work as a radiator unless it has a very large baffle inside to force the water flow down and then let it up the other side.

Reply to
EricP

Spot on. The outlet must be at the bottom or the cold water will remain in the raditor. Inlet can be top or bottom.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

|!In article , |! EricP writes: |!> On 10 Apr 2007 11:26:36 -0700, "stevelup" wrote: |!> |!>>Hi |!>>

|!>>I'm installing a couple of vertical radiators and was wondering |!>>whether there is any way of making the terminations at the top instead |!>>of the bottom? It will make for an easier and neater install... |!> |!> Yes but it would not work as a radiator unless it has a very large |!> baffle inside to force the water flow down and then let it up the |!> other side. |! |!Spot on. |!The outlet must be at the bottom or the cold water will |!remain in the raditor.

Unless the pump is working *very* well

|Inlet can be top or bottom.

Two vertical radiators like so

\/ /\ \/ /\ \/>>/\

should work, provided the system is totally pumped.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Aha - that will do perfectly. I'll put the inlet on the side nearest the corner of the room which will keep the visible side 'pipe-free'.

Thanks everyone.

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

But you'll still need the outlet on the visible side, surely? David

Reply to
Lobster

How will you bleed it of air and drain it of water when you want to remove it? When I installed a tall vertical radiator in my kitchen, almost floor to ceiling, I had the pipes coming down from the ceiling behind the radiator in the middle. Then diagonally outwards from the middle at the bottom to the sides of the radiator where the valves are located. The pipes are mostly hidden by the radiator and blend away nicely by being painted the same colour as the wall. Used a spirit level to get everything horizontal and vertical. Nice.

Reply to
Rob Horton

Yes but it will only have a short length of pipe which will disappear straight into the ceiling. The long - floor to ceiling - pipe run can be in the corner.

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

All our downstairs radiators are plumbed like that, feed and return from the ceiling, feed into the top, return from the diagonally opposite bottom. They of course never need bleeding, but the surprising thing is that, when the pump is not on, they can still get quite hot.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Which it should have if it's intended for both connections at the bottom, anyway. And if it doesn't you can DIY one!

As for bleeding, connection(s) at the top would obviate the need. You'd need to be able to drain down the rad though.

Reply to
John Stumbles

You will also be able to put the TRV at the low connection where it can be operated without the need for a pair of steps.

Reply to
Ed Sirett