Ladder: use at near vertical

I've got a tight passage at the side of the house where a ladder cannot lea n at an adequate angle for normal use. I'm thinking about fitting some kind of clamp or bracket on the side of the house to allow near vertical ladder position without the risk of the ladder falling away from the building. Do es anyone make such things, or do I need to make one, or have one fabricate d?
Thanks.
Bill.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 06:06:31 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

ean at an adequate angle for normal use. I'm thinking about fitting some ki nd of clamp or bracket on the side of the house to allow near vertical ladd er position without the risk of the ladder falling away from the building. Does anyone make such things, or do I need to make one, or have one fabrica ted?
https://www.rawlplug.co.uk/product/r-rbl-e-rawlbolt-eye-bolt/
Add pictures here
βœ–

Fred shows how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
π4dGK1_wYA
The difficult part may be climbing a ladder that is only attached to the wall at the bottom in order to fit a fixing at the top.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Add pictures here
βœ–
Climbing a vertical ladder is bad enough but working off one is even more d ifficult unless you can get hold of the type of harness the Openreach engin eers use up a pole. Safest solution is hire a cherry picker or if the passa ge will take it a tower scaffold.
Richard
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 08/10/2019 08:34, Tricky Dicky wrote:

I fitted a scaffolding pole housing (the type that wouldbe fitted to a concrete/solid base with four expanding bolts, and allowing a vertical pole to be inserted) onto the side of the last house I owned.
Into it I inserted a 1 mtre long section of allow tubing, 2 inch diameter with another housing on the end and strapped the ladder sideways up the wall.
After use I just left the 'base' fitted to the wall, but sprayed it red to disguise it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 07:13:45 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

Indians do it better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeEXT_svEUQ

Owain
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 08/10/2019 09:37, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Excellent.
--
Adam

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 08/10/2019 07:13, alan_m wrote:

I could watch Fred all day!
Add pictures here
βœ–
Whatever you do most vertical ladders have a tread at 90 degrees, if you use a normal ladder these days, the treads are sloped to accommodate the angle of climbing, so you need the kind of ladder which is meant to be mounted vertically. I've seen them on ships, brackets all the way up. I have to say it feels very odd climbing them though. You feel you need a safety attachment. Brian
--
----- --
βœ–
On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 8:36:27 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

use

ean

of

oes

?
Could you not raise the ladder parallel to the wall and use proprietary sup port at the back of it. Not ideal as you would be working sideways on the l adder. We use a version of one of these to help cut a very tall hedge and f ind it very effective and safe especially on uneven ground as the supports are individually adjustable
Add pictures here
βœ–

You mention a tight passage, if this is between two buildings won’t the foot of the ladder be prevented from sliding away from the wall you are laying the top of the ladder against by the second building?
If you are careful, you could climb it and fix some Rawl Bolt eyes to tie the ladder to for extra security.
A safety harness clipped to the, secured, ladder may not be a bad idea if you are concerned- even if you are normally ok on a ladder you can get distracted and taking chances is a good idea if you aren’t 100% confident in the ladder etc.
Alternatively, consider hiring a platform.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 08/10/2019 11:11, Brian Reay wrote:

Do these even need to be at the top? Head height and a piece of rope may do it.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 08/10/2019 12:56, GB wrote:

I would secure the bottom of the ladder to the other wall. and I would have two attachment points for the ladder, one about halfway up and one near the top.
--
Michael Chare

Add pictures here
βœ–
When we had the roof done at our last house the scaffolders secured a large eye bolt to the house the eye being big enough to slide a scaffold pole th rough. When they dismantled the scaffolding I asked the guy in charge if th ey would leave it as it was in a handy place to tie a ladder onto to get on the roof. He said they were expected to bring it back even the bit that we nt into the brickwork, he did however leave the latter in place and would t ell his boss they could not get it out. The only problem was that nothing e lse fitted the fixture other than the eye hook they took away!
Richard
Add pictures here
βœ–

And a lot safer to install in the first place.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 06:06:31 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

ean at an adequate angle for normal use. I'm thinking about fitting some ki nd of clamp or bracket on the side of the house to allow near vertical ladd er position without the risk of the ladder falling away from the building. Does anyone make such things, or do I need to make one, or have one fabrica ted?

put a couple of expanding bolts into the brickwork.
NT
Add pictures here
βœ–

Expanding bolts are a good way to crack bricks. Better to use resin anchor or concrete screws - and a pair spaced across courses if the wall is at all suspect.
And fit a hanger which will take a karabiner and use that to secure the safety harness - not the ladder.
--
Robin
βœ–
On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 12:50:04 +0100, Robin wrote:

And should you fall and be dangling in your harness who is going to get you down? You don't have long before the blood starts to pool in your legs and the brain starved of blood and thus oxygen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_trauma
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 08/10/2019 14:08, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Fair question.
In my case, me if I'm still conscious as I use a rope and descendeur.
If I'm unconscious then I could be in trouble. But then I can't think when I last used a ladder where there was a risk of something falling on me. And the risk of a fall due to heart attack, haemorrhage etc seems to me not unlike the risk of the same happening in a car at 70 mph and that doesn't stop me driving alone.
--
Robin
βœ–
On 08/10/2019 14:08:18, Dave Liquorice wrote:

What's wrong with something like this? https://www.screwfix.com/p/delta-plus-elara140-self-retractable-fall-arrest-kit/3404r
Add pictures here
βœ–