Get rid of your ladder

Get one of these instead

Ed Pawlowski

...and bank account.

Reply to
krw

I can rent a lot of scaffold for two grand...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Looks deadly unsteady, especially at 14'. Note there is no ballast on that small-foot printed base. Good maybe for changing light bulbs and nothing else. Hopefully looks are deceiving.

Lefty

Reply to
Lefty

up), but would be worthless out of doors. Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx

It appears to have about the same footprint as a regular stepladder width. The depth of the footprint is shorter than a normal stepladder, but since it's about the same as a normal stepladder width the overall stability should be the same as the side to side stability of a stepladder. The safety harness shown is utterly useless however, since it definitely does not have the stability to support a user falling out of the basket. Just another cutsey solution to a problem that doesn't exist, designed by someone who has never actually used either a ladder or a real aerial lift.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yeah, I wondered about that too. There's no mention of a manual crank for lowering it if that happens. "Honey, can you bring me a ladder??"

I agree with the other poster who said this looks like it was designed by somebody who's never used either a ladder or a real aerial lift.

Reply to
Doug Miller

"Pete C." wrote

You must have missed this part: Design: Geoff Campbell and Jason Watson of JLG Industries (Australia);

For the people that may have never heard of JLG Welcome to JLG

JLG Industries, Inc. is the world's leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of access equipment. The Company's diverse product portfolio includes leading brands such as JLG® aerial work platforms; JLG, SkyTrak® and Lull® telehandlers; and an array of complementary accessories that increase the versatility and efficiency of these products.

JLG is an Oshkosh Corporation Company [NYSE: OSK].

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I could use it to paint my great room ceiling, if "working height" is the height of the platform. I wouldn't pay for one just for that and I'd have no place to put it, but it would come in handy.

Reply to
krw

I didn't miss it, and I've used JLG's "real" products in the past. It makes no difference to my assessment.

Reply to
Pete C.

So, what advantage would it have over a normal stepladder of the same working height? The only advantage I see is in cleaning out your bank account vs. the cost of a normal ladder. Perhaps if you had some insane ADA mandate you provide assistive technology to allow an wheelchair bound employee to change light bulbs...

Reply to
Pete C.

Pete C. wrote: ...

What I see would be the 360 access owing to the platform plus not standing on rungs for long-duration tasks. Didn't notice load limit but hands-free "climbing" to allow taking work material up w/ one would also be handy often...

The potential disadvantage I see is the rearward tilt to maintain COG within the base would make reach in the forward direction problematic perhaps if needed access both directions; otherwise turn around from way the guy in the picture is facing for a wall-access task.

And, a 14-ft "working" height will cover a lot of areas but in church sanctuary where a small elevator prevents any lift I've tried from being taken off the ground floor level it wouldn't reach...I've done the ladder thingie in there tied off and it ain't for the weak of heart...something like this that could do half-again the height would be on my hit list in a heartbeat.

--

Reply to
dpb

"Pete C." wrote

There are plenty of locations in the shop where a stepladder will have too large a footprint and an extension ladder has nothing to be leaned against. You may also be using two hands to work on a fitting or control so standing on a platform is much safer than standing on a ladder. Lifting a 30# damper into place is much easier off a lift than a ladder.

Yes, it would also be safer changing six tubes in a fixture compared to a ladder as they can all be put into the cage before going up. With a ladder, you'd need either two people or make multiple trips up and down carrying the glass tubes. Changing a ballast is another example. Yes, it can be done from a ladder, but it is safer from a lift cage. Safety is important to us and standing on a 3' square platform in a cage is always better than standing on a 6" wide rung of a ladder when you need two hands. This is especially true working over a machine where you have to reach a bit to the side. A simple lean in a cage versus a dangerous lean off a ladder. No, you cannot move the ladder either as it is over a machine.

I was easily able to justify buying the $5000 lifts (used price) we have now so spending the $2200 for this is no big deal. .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote: ...

Unfortunately, doesn't appear this lift would help resolve that problem although does help w/ the no-wall situation and extension. (I'm fully in agreement w/ all other points--the $5K I spent for the 40-ft boomlift while not a vertical interior lift as these has been worth 10X that outlay.)

--

Reply to
dpb

Figgin' spammer.

I'll see your lift, and raise you.

Preview:

Or not:

MIB

Have you tried the small Genie telescopic lifts? Not the self propelled ones, but the simple manual roll around and set outrigger ones with a multi stage forklift style column.

Reply to
Pete C.

Not sure which lifts you got, but all of the various styles I have used have been significantly more capable than this little unit appears to be.

The scissor lift type units are available with platforms that telescope on one end to provide overhang access, and the platform size along with the self propelled nature allow for very efficient lamp replacement throughout a facility.

There are some very nice mini boom lifts with combination lower boom elevation and upper boom telescoping, along with base rotation that provide tremendous reach capabilities in a small footprint self propelled unit.

There are simple vertical only, manual propulsion and outrigger units that provide much better working height capacity than this little drill powered unit. Possibly Genie has some design patents on them that have caused JLG to resort to this feeble angle column design to try to get some of that market share.

Then there is the good old rolling scaffold platform which works well in a lot of cases, provides more platform area, and takes less storage space when disassembled.

Reply to
Pete C.

re: So, what advantage would it have over a normal stepladder of the same working height?

The old Varsity softball field at my daughter's school was right next to the building. Video's of the game were shot from the single story roof behind home plate.

The new field is "out in the open", far from the buildings, with no place for the cameraman to "perch". Video's are now shot from ground level.

I may suggest to the Sports Boosters that they raise some funds to purchase one of these lifts to improve the quality of the videos. It could also be used for the other sports that don't have elevated locations to film from.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Pete C. wrote: ...

Probably not every one manufactured, no. All the ones local rental had or could get w/o excessive ship-in charges, yes... None would make it into the elevator. :(

Reply to
dpb

DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Sounds like a place to get the local rental outfit(s) to make some charitable contributions of donated rental time. I'd think this puppy wouldn't be stable enough for that purpose, likely, but one of the scissor lifts would do quite nicely.

--

Reply to
dpb