extension ladder stabilizer U-bolts

I found among the junk I collect from various places an extension ladder stabilizer, the wide U-shaped thing that makes the top of the ladder wider, and spans windows.

But no hardware. Yesterday, I went to HDepot and Lowes** for square U-bolts. Nothing square, nothing big enough. Do you know where I can get any?? This is not such a big problem

I found one source online, but it required that I buy ten 2x7^^ square u-bolts for about 16 dollars plus $7 shipping***, and it turns out I can buy a whole new stabilizer for only 20. ^^Is 2 inches wide what I need? I could have opened one of the boxes at the store, but I didn't really want to and I thought I'd be able to mail-order what I need from Werner or Gorilla.

I looked at buying another stabilizer, only 20 dollars for Gorilla and

22 for Werner, but they are actually less deep than the one from the junk. I could buy the new one just for the U-bolts, but I really don't want to. Neither company offers to sell the hardware on their webpage (and Gorilla is in Australia anyhow. I'm in Baltimore!)

Or I could buy an adjustable stabilizer, which would allow me to keep the ladder more than 12 inches from my wall. Right now I'm trying to firmly attach the gutters. My soffitts are about 12 inches deep, but I'm not sure. Even the 12 inch deep stabilizer is deep enough to go over the gutters and rest on the roof, but I can't get a feel for doing that. That would make the force on the stabilizer by the roof, up and around, so that it seems like it might get ripped off the ladder, instead of when it is lower, being squeezed between the ladder and the wall.

**They're only a half mile apart on the same street.

***

U-Bolts Square Bend - Steel 2 by 7. It doesn't say it is for this purpose, but the dimensions seem right. (Only: $1.60 [#2370062] Retail Value: $2.65 You save: $1.05 (39 %))

If I just buy U-bolts, I won't get the right-angle piece on each side, which is there, I guess, to keep the thing from sliding down the ladder, but maybe I could make them or twist the U-bolt 90 degrees and get along without them.

Sorry this is so long. Thanks.

Reply to
mm

Small trailer axles are square and they use "U" bolts to hold the springs. Try a trailer parts or real auto parts store. Or, buy some all thread and make them. Or, buy some plumbers tape, it's a flat strap with holes every

1/2" or so.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I ended up making them when I lost mine. I just bought a length of 3/8 (I think thats the diameter) inch threaded rod and bent it into a U shape of the proper dimensions.

Only later did I find them in the U bolt section of Ace Hardware. Bear in mind, this was many years ago (BBBE - Before Big Box Era) and it was a really well equipped Ace store.

dickm

Reply to
dicko

I'll bear that in mind. There are two (or is one gone) fairly big Ace hardwares fairly near here (but not as close as the lowes and hd) and I'll head out there as soon as it's not so hot.

I'm also going to go to the trailer place, and the auto parts stirem that are even closer -- thanks, Big Al, and if that doesn't work, I guess I'll make them as you both suggested.

Thanks you guys.

Reply to
mm