Mounting an electric vertical radiator horizontially

Hello, we have a loft conversions with no central heating, we are limited to ceiling height on the walls due to the low eaves so I am looking at the possibility of mounting a designer electrical radiator that is designed to be hung vertically, horizontally.

Here is a link to

this possible, as it is not directly plumed it shouldn't need to be bleed, I'm just not sure if it will still function in the same way.

Cheers

Reply to
Lee Turner

Are these things all not oil filled and therefore you would need to ensure the element was kept covered in oil if you change the orientation?

What would be wrong with a more conventional wall mounted horizontal / slim line oil filled radiator?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If it's oil filled with an element (or elements) at the bottom, convection will not carry heat away from the elements in a horizontal position. This would cause the thermostat to shut the element down long before the whole radiator is hot.

On the whole, a bad idea I would say. Look for something designed to be mounted horizontally.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Doing a web search for "electric skirting board heaters" (or "base board heaters") brings up lots of hits.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

+1 to both Tims

I would wonder whether a simple fan heater might do the job more economically.

Reply to
newshound

It will overheat. Get some electric tubular heaters.

They come in various sizes.

Or a portable heater parked in the centre of the room.

Reply to
harry

Seems a lot of money for a few pipes painted grey. Make your own then you can distribute the heat source throughout the tubes, then it'll be happy. That means connecting elements in a mix of series & parallel.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Oddly enough I have just refused to fit one of those at ceiling height!

Reply to
ARW

For a confused Australian? ;-)

Cheers, T i m