copper water pipe underground solder connections

Greetings,

Why are you not allowed to solder copper pipe which is going to be installed underground? I want to be very clear what question I am asking. I am not asking for 10 responses stating that I must not solder copper pipe to be used underground or why don't I just use a compression fitting. I know that. I am asking why I am not suppose to? I am not asking for the reason "because someone said so". I am asking about the underlying reason.

Thank you very much for your time and energy, William

Reply to
William.Deans

Water utilities don't allow soldered connections anywhere in the service lateral, esp before the meter.

They are concerned about the mechanical integrity of any joints which could later on (think- 100 years) leak, possibly resulting in revenue loss.

For services, the only coupling or terminating fitting allowed is a flare fitting AFAIK. Compression fittings are out along with soldered ones.

Hope that's what you were asking.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I actually did not know that this was not allowed, I have seen it done and even worked on them. However, if you have ever tried to solder copper below grade you would know why it is frowned upon.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

I was taught that soldered connections in contact with earth react chemically and deteriorate as a result of an induced di-electrical reaction. Would not bet the farm on it....

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy