How to replace water pipe

As a follow up to my previous question - suppose I decide to replace the pipe. What kind of pipe and fittings would I use. Is there a standard for this type of work?

I've laid sprinkler pipes before with PVC, but I'm not sure I want PVC for my main water feed from the meter to the house. Is it OK to use PVC for this, or should I stick to metal pipe? And if so, what kind of metal pipe is commonly used?

Reply to
Ook

Around here, NJ, black poly pipe is typically being used in new construction from the street to the house. Inside the house they transition to copper, pvc, etc using a barb fitting. Sounds like the easiest and cheapest solution. Local codes will vary. I would go with plastic unless prohibited. Steel is out because it rusts. Copper is expensive.

Reply to
trader4

I can't remember the original question.

.

I've laid sprinkler pipes before with PVC, but I'm not sure I want PVC for my main water feed from the meter to the house. Is it OK to use PVC for this, or should I stick to metal pipe? And if so, what kind of metal pipe is commonly used?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Are there problems caused by using plastic instead of metal? Copper isn't cheap, but it's only a 25 foot run, and I might have a few pieces left over from when I re-plumbed my house a few years ago. I know how to work with copper, and probably have most of the pieces parts already. Is there any particular grade of copper that should be used for underground plumbing? The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of replacing the run from meter to house with copper.

FWIW I live in Oregon, but am not familiar with local building codes with respect to outdoor water pipes.

Reply to
Ook

As a follow up to your follow up, how about if you remind us what the previous question was to which you are following up?

With hundreds of posts in this NG, you really can't expect us (well, at least not *all* of us) to remember your previous question.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Water Services? Use Type M hard for straight lengths joined with fittings, and Type L soft where coils are more convenient.

Water Distribution Systems? Use Type M for above and below ground.

Chilled Water Mains?Use Type M for all sizes.

Drainage and Vent Systems? Use Type DWV for above- and belowground waste, soil and vent lines, roof and building drains and sewers.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Well that is pretty straight forward - type M for above and below ground. I have a couple of lengths of type M in my basement, maybe enough to do this job. This leak is costing me $5 a day in water down the toilet, and I'm highly motivated to stop the leak, even if it means bypassing all the old pipe.

Reply to
Ook

It's the thread immediately prior to this one....

Reply to
Ook

That is the type M, right?

Reply to
Ook

I would use type K that is one size larger in diameter than what you have right now. For example: If you have =BE=94 right now then I would use

1=94. I would also make sure to de-bur the ends. I would wrap the copper in pipe-wrap for the entire length that is touching the soil or concrete. But that=92s just me.
Reply to
Molly Brown

They were using the cheapo black plastic for a while and found that it couldn't handle transient high pressure conditions. So now they require type L copper again. The local water utility has had so many issues with the black plastic that they often start at one block and work there way down the street replacing plastic with copper.

Reply to
George

Thinking inside. Type "K" is required outside.

Reply to
George

Definitely not what's happening here in NJ. It's been used for decades with no problems and is going into new construction right now. Given all the modern materials I find it hard to believe that a plastic flexible pipe can't be used for underground water. It would be my first choice.

Reply to
trader4

I think I read about you, in cave man times.

Didn't Ook, marry Oog, and had a kid named Oohbaby?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or after, I'm told, depending on what news reader one uses!

Reply to
micky

.

I married Oog, didn't you get the wedding invite? Kids are Ookoog. Oogook, Ookook, and Oogoog. I think... I get confused easily. Wish I would have stuck to Fred, George, Mary and Martha.

Reply to
Ook

Must be tough when refund checks arrive, adressed to "O".

.

I married Oog, didn't you get the wedding invite? Kids are Ookoog. Oogook, Ookook, and Oogoog. I think... I get confused easily. Wish I would have stuck to Fred, George, Mary and Martha.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you did that here you would be getting your water from a hose attached to your neighbors house because they would refuse to connect your plastic line.

Our water company PAWC is owned by a German outfit who bought up hundreds of water systems and uses the business name "American Water" and conspicuously uses the words "We are American Water" in all written material.

George

Did he and Mrs. O go see her story?

Reply to
krw

the line from the meter to the house may HAVE to be copper by local code. Better check with them. The branches to your hydrants can be pvc.

Reply to
Steve Barker