Subject Author Posted Replies

40 Kw. 3 phase Alternator much too noisy
Evening all. In my workshop I have a Lister 4 cylinder diesel, air cooled 3 phase Altern ator I think it must only have two poles as to get 50 Hz it seems to run fa r too fast and makes far too much...
4
4

Glass conservatory style roof on kitchen?
Our kitchen sticks out of the back of the left side of the house and is quite small. As was our neighbour's. outside __________ | | _____ | | | | gap | | | |_____| | | | | | | | our house neighbour...
13
13

Video door security systems - recommendations wanted
My M-I-L wants a video door entry system for her house's front door as she is becoming less mobile and would like to be able to see who is at the front door and let them in remotely. Can anyone here...

extending black and red circuit with blue and brown ?
Is it allowed to extend an old circuit using black and red wiring with new blue and brown. (the grey cable, not the rubbery black stuff) Isn't the CPC wire size bigger in blue and brown? I have...
54
54

"Electronic Transformer" ... as 12V PSU?
Hi all, I need to replace a laptop style (12V 7A) PSU (not for a laptop) and was wondering if the sort of thing you can get to power 12V LED lights would be suitable? I'm talking of this sort of...
48
48

Double insulated cooker hood trips RCD
Double insulated cooker hood with the usual plastic cased motor is tripping the RCD it's connected to, but only intermittently and only when changing the fan speed. Thing I don't understand is how?...
44
44

Colour of external juntion boxes and conduit
Just been looking at junction boxes and conduit to move an external PIR floodlight. Why is it that most junction boxes are grey but conduit only comes in black or white? I was thinking that black...
16
16

Dyson / Gtech / other (portable cleaner)?
Hi all, As there seem to be a few appliance questions around, it prompted me to get the panels thoughts / opinions / advice on a portable cleaner for my 87 year old Mum for use on the stairs...
18
18

value?
Citroën C2, 06 reg, LHD. Driving through 10" of flood water: it appears I am still not old enough to know better. It has now been recovered to my driveway, almost certainly has water in engine. I am...
97
97

OT: This has to be the most inane bit of transaltion...ever
Fact: An explosion in St Petersburg. Daily Express reports: "Reports say preliminary data shows that a device stuffed with *damage agents* is likely to be the cause for the St Petersburg explosion. A...
2
2

Kitchen sink mixer tap drips - can it be fixed?
HI Folks We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about four years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping. It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate...
24
24

Tumble dryers revisited.
he heating element with a vigorous fan. The longer and the faster the revolving, ie the total number of twists & fa lls. That can be reduced by slowing tumble speed - a vigorous fan blows air through...
75
75

Shower shelf
New corner shower is finally fitted! Wall are covered with these panels and very nice they are too! 10mm thick plastic, looks very similar to corrugated cardboard from the side. Problem is that there...
8
8

1998 Matilda RC model by Logistix, how to remove cover?
I have a 1998 radio controlled 'Matilda' (Robot Wars toy). I need to take her cover off to try and fix a mechanical fault inside - one motor is not turning its wheel. I can't work out how to get...
2
2

Why crospost
Why do people talking about toasters decide to crosspost to a legal group? Its only barely DIY, I mean fixing them is normally not possible due to modern ones being sealed. Brian
7
7