Plaster second skim coat days later?

Most youtube videos show plaster being applied in 2 coats, with a second skim coat when its half dry.

Can the second skim coat be applied a few days later ?

I've a big ceiling to do tomorrow and might get tired and clumsy after lifting up the first coat.

george

Reply to
George Miles

I've tended to do the one coat.

You should use the same amount of plaster overall whether one coat or two. 2 x 1.5mm vs 1 x 3mm.

The first coat is more to cover and the second applied after it has gone stiff but before it had hardened. The first need not be polished, unlike the second coat.

Reply to
Fredxx

Not really - the way it works is to blend into the 1st coat IME

Reply to
Tim Watts

IME it may not stick. So, Wet down first coat with diluted PVA Mix in PVA with second coat

Reply to
harry

I do not think the top skim of plaster will not stick, after all it adheres to many surfaces such as old plaster and even paint when you feather it in to existing plaster. The problem I think you will find is that it will be difficult to smooth out as the drier plaster will tend to suck the water out of the coat you are applying. Wetting may help although the amount you will have to apply might affect the integrity of the first coat. A PVA seal may be your best option if you cannot apply two coats at the same time.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I have put on one coat of finishing plaster and then gone over to where I started and polished it, going over the area a number of times.

We are talking putting a skim on plasterboard if there is any confusion.

Reply to
Fredxx

A plasterer I know, where putting a skim onto old plaster, would paint PVA onto the old and coat when still tacky.

Not hear of that.

Reply to
Fredxx

When I've had to do this I've always left the first coat with a thoroughly keyed surface by scoring the surface after it has started to go hard. Before the second coat paint with PVA, leave for a short while for it to start getting to the really sticky state, and then applying a second coat of plaster. If the PVA has dried out before you get to start plastering apply another coat.

Reply to
alan_m

With a friend we did 2 plaster coats in 9 hours, the ceiling about 5 meters by 5 meters (8 sawn off plasterboards)

3 and a half bags of multifinish, 5 mixes.

I'm a bit too tired to try and dampen it and polish it tonight, I would probably do more damage than good, so will sand and fill it in a few days.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, I now know how much plaster> Most youtube videos show plaster being applied in 2 coats,

Reply to
George Miles

(Snip)

Care to elaborate?